How much is your dog's life worth?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much is your dog's life worth?

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow much is your dog's life worth?

The Mpls StarTrib has an online poll going. I found it interesting enough to share. I wonder what our numbers would look like.

How much money would you spend to save your dog's life?
    None
    0% (0 votes)
    Less than $500
    15% (3 votes)
    More than $500
    10% (2 votes)
    Between $500 and $1000
    25% (5 votes)
    More than $1000
    50% (10 votes)
    Total votes: 20
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How much is your dog's life worth?

There is no limit when it comes to saving my dogs life......

We've definately spent over $1000 multiple times on Cinder (Broken leg that needed pins and two surgeries, obstruction surgery) . I honestly don't know what the max would be. Hopefully I'll never have to find out, but I'm sure it would depend on her age and what the outcome would be.

eta: By the outcome I meant if she would have quality of life afterwards, or if we were just extending her misery.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

Since I just forked out $2400 total in surgery...I'd say that I would do anything for my boys.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

There is a limit for me, however its not close to $1000.

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

I guess you can reach a limit, but that would be only if quality of life was effected. We only had Duke for 5 days when he got Parvo as a puppy...We spent over $3500. It was well worth it.
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

I don't know. Possible outcome and age of the dog would definitely be factors. (I'm talking about major money here)

No limit in my eyes, if it would save Sams life it would be done, thats what I have emergency credit for!

I think this is a tough question, because everyone makes different amounts. For me, at this point in my life, I'd be able to spend thousands. I know some people would love to give every penny, but just don't have the resources.

Our first lab was diagnosed with cancer a month after we purchased our first home (almost 7 years ago). We also had a 10 month old child. We were given the choice of pay this money ($2500-$3000), drive 2 hours 3 days a week and you may get 3 to 6 more months and then have to pay again (this was for chemo, radiation, whatever they were doing), do the treatment again, to maybe get another 3 to 6 months. Apparently it wouldn't cure it, only delay the onset or something. Since we had just put every penny we had into the new house, we didn't have the money. We had to make the hardest decision of our life. We kept Asher another two months after diagnosis, weeks longer than we should have because we couldn't bare to lose her before we had to have her PTS. She couldn't see, barely breath, couldn't control her bowels, etc. She was only 5 years old. I still wonder if we could have done something different, but I know at the time there was no way we could risk losing our house since we had a child.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I don't know myself where the limit for us is. We are fortunate that we can afford to take care of Hershey Kisses. We spent $1000 at the emergency vet to save her the day HK came home to us, and next week we will be putting ~$1500 into her teeth. If she were 15 years old and diagnosed with cancer, I truly do not know what we would do, but do not think the $s would be the deciding factor. If she has an intestinal blockage when she is 2-6, it will be taken care of.

On the flip side, if we were not as fortunate as we have been and were retired living on SS only, I do not know if our answers would be the same. iI do know that we would seek any kin of help we could find, such that she could be taken care of.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast