"Hobby Breeder" Definition

Thread: "Hobby Breeder" Definition

fburke is offline Senior Member

Default"Hobby Breeder" Definition

When looking at breeders (I’m beginning my search for a Chocolate friend for Willow) I am starting to see through some of them, thanks for all I have learned from JL!!

However one term I’m not too sure about is “hobby breeder” some of the sites I have seen with this term look pretty professional (meaning as a breeder not site presentation)

I'm just wondering from you experts…is "Hobby Breeder" just another term for "Back Yard Breeder"…or is there actually difference or classification...

Thanks !!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: "Hobby Breeder" Definition

There are hobby breeders, and business breeders, then back yard breeders, and puppy mills and everything in between.

Business breeders are breeding for a living, and sometimes, there is nothing 'wrong' with it. They breed and show and offer stud services etc.

I consider (or will when I actually have a litter) myself a hobby breeder. There is no amount of puppies Ruby could have to recoup lost monies, unless maybe she has 16 puppies per litter and I breed her 10 times! Definitely not a business breeder.

labby is offline Senior Member

I am a hobby breeder. Hobby breeders don't breed enough to be considered a "business" and get tax breaks. We do it even though we lose our asses because we can't claim it as a "business".

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

fburke is offline Senior Member

So from what I gather so far...this is not a negative term, Just someone putting forward that this is not their main profession or main reason for breeding ie $$

labby is offline Senior Member

Yep, you're correct. However, the BYB and PM's are getting smarter. They will call themselves hobby breeders. You just have to dig a bit deeper for the truth.

Laura

georgie is offline Senior Member

Like everything else, you have to really do your research on the breeder. My breeder has 5 labs & she is friends with Mary Howely of Candlewoods Kennels. Her first lab was from from one of her labs. She only has 1 litter every year or two. Her labs live in her house. But she always has a waiting list for her labs & all the clearences are done, hips, eyes, elbow & her labs are on the white list for CNM.
    Her labs are field labs & all have titles. She breeds also for temperment & is very selective when looking for the stud dog.

Those are the questions I would ask....does the dog have all the clearences, what does the breeder do with their labs? It is always good to see the parents. Check the pedigrees.

There is truly no guarentees, but getting a pup from a reputable breeder, who has done all the clearences & you can see the temperment of the parents, does give you a better chance of having a healthy puppy.

I don't breed, my females are spayed, but I have leasrned from the forum just what to look for in a breeder, whether they are a "hobby breeder or a business. But I would like to say....it is an expensive hobby when done properly.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I think as long as you make sure the breeder does the clearances, doesn't breed the dogs too often, doesn't keep a shload of dogs where they have a litter ready every month, shows and trains their dogs, belongs to clubs....you'll be fine.

Where are you located, we will have a choco litter available in Feb if the Puppy-gods are looking down on us!