What would you do?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

k8show is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat would you do?

A guy who lives about half a mile down the street lets his dog roam the neighborhood. About once a week, Boo and I encounter the dog while walking. Max approaches Boo, tries to play then takes off. Boo and I turn the opposite direction, but Max follows, and tries to play again. This happens all the way home, Boo gets all fired up and our walk is ruined.

But, that's not even my main concern. I've seen this dog nearly get hit by cars at least half a dozen times. I've said things to my neighbor, "Woah. That was scary; he's going to get hurt." My neighbor says, "Yeah, he's got a one track mind--just loves to play."

I want to be able to walk my dog w/o such an invasive distraction and I worry about Max's safety. I find it very hard to believe that
    1) this dog is still alive and
    2) no one's called animal control or taken him to the shelter yet--or worse.

What would you do? I really just want someone in a position of authority to talk to this guy since he doesn't seem to want to listen to me.
    Katie and Boo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Katies Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What would you do?

I wish I had some advice but I don't. Where I live there are no law, leash or license. Every dog runs loose here. One chocolate even delivers every day with the UPS guy.

My neighbor (about 1/2 mile away) lets his dog roam around and all he does is pee and poo in our yard. He is an un-neutured bulldog and he tries to hump Maggie every chance he gets. Thank goodness Maggie is not interested in that, but anyway.... Pete is just about ready to shoot the dog with a paintball gun and leave paint all over him and see what the owner thinks about that. So far, the owner says "yeah, it's great living in the country where you don't have to keep your dog chained up". Oh, no collar or tags on the dog either. We will probably call animal control next. That is what I would do.

I really wouldn't mind if he didn't pee and poop all over, chase my cats up the trees and bug Maggie. Our other neighbors dog (another 1/2 mile away) will sometimes come over and just play with Maggie for a few minutes while his owner is out walking to get the mail or something. Sometimes I wish they would come by and play for awhile to socialize her more.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Call animal control. And then tell your clueless neighbor that you've called animal control, for the dog's sake and for his sake.

I agree to call animal control, but I'm not sure I'd tell the neighbor. Maybe I'm chicken, or just want to keep the peace, but I think being on good terms with your neighbors is very important, and if you tell him you called animal control I don't think that will happen.

We had a dog that was always off leash on our street. He pretty much stayed in his yard/area, but in order for me to take a walk with the kids, we had to go past the house (we live at the dead end of the street, only one way to go!). Several times the dog (a large standard poodle) would charge us barking. It always stopped barking and would just sniff, but it scared my kids to the point that they didn't want to walk or ride bikes anymore for fear of the dogs. I spoke to the neighbor several times explaining he was scaring them, and all the neighbor would say was "he's all bark, he's friendly", and I said to a 2 year old child a large dog running at them barking is too scary regardless of me saying he won't hurt her. I finally called animal control (not giving my name). It must have worked after they came, because after 2 years of dealing with this, I think in the past 2 years I have seen him out off leash only two or three times instead of every day.

I'd call the A/C, but DON'T tell them you did. People can be downright mean!

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

Are any of your other neighbors complaining about this moron too? Maybe if enough of you contacted the proper authorities, it would get this guy to HAVE to keep his dog from roaming free. I would definetly report this idiot. Who cares what he thinks and if he gets mad. This dog could get hit by a car. I'd be more concerned about the dog than the neighbor.

I'd call animal control. I would feel awful if this dog got hit by a car and I knew I could have done something.

k8show is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bebopalula
    Are any of your other neighbors complaining about this moron too? Maybe if enough of you contacted the proper authorities, it would get this guy to HAVE to keep his dog from roaming free.
    I've heard a couple of other people say things about the dog, but I don't know if anyone's complained to animal control. He lives 0.5 miles from me and is a bother. There must be 100 houses that are closer to him. I see my neighbors walking with their babies and young kids all the time. That would scare me to death! When Boo was little and I saw Max coming toward us, I would scoop up all 30lbs of my pup and carry him back home.

I am going to get this guy's address on our afternoon walk today and call animal control. (I knew I had to do it before posting, but I guess I just needed some encouragement.) I'm not going to give my name if I can help it.

They won't take the Max away from his owner, right? I just want them to say, "this is your last warning, next time you'll pay a small to moderate fine." I'd rather have Max risk danger walking around the 'hood than be euthanized. :'( Poor pup. He's a really sweet dog with a really dumb owner.
    Katie and Boo

I have a very similar situation and I have called A/C on them neumerous times. It costs them $300 every time to get him back out if they pick him up. Our A/C people know him by name (Jiggy) :
    I'd keep calling A/C I hope one day they will get tired oof paying the fine and let someone adopt him since he's a pretty nice dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast