Age and Affection
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age and Affection

DefaultAge and Affection

Hello all!

I haven’t communicated in quite a while. My wife and I have been very busy caring for my mother who recently had major surgery. Woody is doing great and growing like a weed. I know….I know…..I need to post updated pictures soon, and I will.

I have a somewhat silly question. Woody is now almost 12 weeks old. Often when he is out in the yard and I come home from being out and he seems as if he could care less to see me. Is this normal for his age? I suppose I’d like to see a little excitement and more affection. He also is oblivious to “come!” Is this just because of his young age? Can we expect him to become more affectionate and clingy with age? Thanks to all the Lab experts.

God bless!

Pastor Charlie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Age and Affection

I think it's pretty normal.

Remington is 9 months old and is finally really starting to get affectionate with me.

hark67 is offline Senior Member

I find that Guthrie is more lovey as each day passes. I guess it might help to remember that at 12 weeks the whole world is still pretty new for them and their little senses are pulling them in so many different directions. Once things are not so new he will be your little lovebug, I am sure.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I had the same thing with Tal but as he got older and more confident he has increasingly become more affectionate. When I get home from being gone, it doesn't matter whether it has been 3 minutes or 3 hours...that tail is going 90 mph...he used to lick my face non stop even before going potty but I have trained him to go potty before showing affection...because when I get home from school I know he has to go!

It will get better with age. And remember, Woody is still a baby. He is still learning his new home and all it has in it. He will come around. And eventually will be like the rest of them...a 70 - 90 lb lap dog!

fburke is offline Senior Member

I posted a very similar question a few weeks ago…

Willow is 1 1/2 and she has different personalities when she is outside and inside.

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...html#msg716802

When she is in side she is up my butt…if we’ve been playing a awhile and she is tired she will lay on the couch either next to me or on my love seat.

However when outside she just runs around, like a maniac will hardly let me touch her. She just wants to run and play.

As far as commands yours is still young it takes lots of practice and to teach them come …willow still is ify about this one. She will come when SHE wants too…but she can still be head strong at times.

Felix Guest

Oke, i've got a simple question for you, if you enter .. how do you act, do you act happy, and funny (or some thing like that) to see you're dog again ???

And what if you call his name with a high voice and acting enthousiastic ???

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Bruno is about Woody's age and behaves as you describe. The only way I can get him to come to me is by using the "treat!" word.

I remember Zoe as a puppy, I thought she was the most independent, aloof dog around. She didn't want to snuggle...always squirmed to go play, get her toys, eat, poop...you know the drill. After she turned 2 she started to show some signs of wanting to be close to mommy. Now she is 4 and snuggles every chance she gets. Hang in there...puppies are exploring their new worlds and do love you whether it always seems like it or not!

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom
    Bruno is about Woody's age and behaves as you describe. The only way I can get him to come to me is by using the "treat!" word.
    Jonah only comes when he's outside when we say "Jonah, treat!" as well! Inside he'll come with just his name. I think they just get too distracted when they are outside; too much other stuff going on. Does Woody act the same if he is in the house when you come home?

labby is offline Senior Member

With Jake who is 4 months old, I just use a higher pitched voice for "Come" and he comes running. Getting down on the puppy's level and clapping your hands helps too. Think of it from the puppy's stand point. Some BIG person is standing there.....should I go to them. When you crouch down you appear more friendly to the puppy.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast