Need any and all advice on taking in a dog
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need any and all advice on taking in a dog

DefaultNeed any and all advice on taking in a dog

My sister and her partner split up a year ago, he kept the house and she moved to an apartment,
    when they bought the house, she adopted a puppy and he is now,about 5? He is a sweet boy I am thinking he is Lab/shepherd mix, anyhow her ex is going to sell the house so Chewy needs a home.
    He has always lived outside,I am planning on taking him back to Illinois with me in a couple of weeks.
    I cant leave him behind, her ex is on drugs etc, I have been going by there making sure he has food water and some tlc, Abbie knows him and they get along fine, but that's been in his yard, I am a little worried about the transitionfrom outside to in and with my dogs. Abbie will be 2 in a couple days and Aries just turned 1. I cant leave him, and if I have to I can take the time to try and rehome him if it doesnt work out. Any advice is welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Need any and all advice on taking in a dog

?

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

First off, thanks for thinking about this boy.

Do you want a new dog? I think this is the question you have to ask yourself.

If you don't, you could be a foster home until the right owners come along. I've taken in dogs that I've rescued and fostered them and found great adoptive homes.

If you do want a new dog, then that's great.

With either decision training will probably be in order. If the dogs get along fine now, I would just watch them at your home (but would try to find a way to separate during transport - like a crate for the new dog). You will probably have to house break him b/c he's never been inside. I just treat all older dogs for housebreaking as puppies and teach him the manners you expect from your dogs.

Chewy being 5 years old isn't a problem in itself. Dogs can be trained at any age. He will just take patience and a strong hand. He likely doesn't know structure, but if you provide it he will follow. I would also think that he may be a "clean slate" so to speak from being outside and not getting into bad happens inside, or he could be a mess of things that you need to retrain or "untrain."

I don't know if I'm any help, but saw that a bunch of people had viewed but no one responded - I didn't want to be one of those. I'm sure rescue people will have more information.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I wont be much help but EMA's advice sounds pretty good. I'm sure some of the folks who have done rescue will chime in and be able to give some good pointers.

I hope things work out. It sounds like this dog has had precious little in the way of care and I bet would adapt to a loving home pretty quickly.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Chewy is in KY. where I am now,my sis had surgery and this is why I am here, the dog is an unexpected
    issue, but I have been around him since he was a puppy. Last year I came down and gave him vaccines.
    I have several crates at home but not here, hopefully he will ride good for 7 hours when I go home.
    Even if I rehome him, he will be treated as my own and I will take the time to teach him what he needs to know. I do know the last time sis took him for shots he was muzzled.

Thank you for replying,any advice helps. Tonya

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I took Duke in at age 8 months. I think he was an outside dog. He was very easy to housebreak and loves being a house dog. He had a lot of issues, but being in the house was not one of them.
    I would worry about his name, Chewey. Hope it describes only his puppyhood.

I fostered many "outside" dogs during my rescue days. They seemed to adapt fine to being indoors...they learn by watching the others.

MitziandJudy'smom, LolChewy got his name from liking to Chew on everything as a puppy. Hopefully
    by being around Abbie before, will make things better, it's my baby boy I am a little worried about.
    We shall see though in about a week,that's when I will be going home,Abbie turns 2 on the 6th and I wont even be with her

TY Tonya

kaytris is offline Senior Member

If you could ask the dog's present caretaker (or is that you? not sure... ??? ) to start feeding Chewy in the crate, playing games in and around the crate, making the crate the source of all good things.

Muzzled at the vet? Could be an issue.. can you (or his caretaker) try handling him all over - gently pick up paws, look at ears and teeth, try grooming him gently? How does he react?

Once you bring him home, I would treat him like an 8 week old puppy - constant supervision or crating, strict feeding and pottying schedule, etc.

There is no present caretaker, the ex is staying somewhere other than the house, Chewy is staying alone,
    I am going over every afternoon to the house and feeding him. Yes he tried to bite the vet when given shots,but I came into Ky, last year and gave him shots myself and he was fine with it. Chewy doesnt have a crate and wont until I go back home in a week. I dont want to buy one when I have 2 empty ones at home, I am starting him today on Proplan so when I get him home he will be adjusted to what mine eat.
    This dog dont even know how to play fetch, but for now until I leave for home I go over to the house and spend time with him etc.. my worry is putting the 2 males together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast