difference in size with age
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: difference in size with age

Defaultdifference in size with age

I have a 3 yr old male{goose}. I recently adopted a female that is about 10 months. the size difference is more than I expected. This little girl makes Goose look like a big boy, he's only 77lbs. Goose has a lot of english lines, the rescue is a purebred, with papers, and also has english as well. But I can't remember Goose in that "awkward" stage..I quess she will grow into all that loose skin at some point. At what age do you guys remember the big growth spurt? I am so glad to get her out of a shelter, you can tell she has been in it too long- no manners- but that is half the fun. And they get along pretty good. the previous owners bought her from a breeder and said she chewed too much!? DUHH. I hope to have pics up sometime soon. Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: difference in size with age

I don't know the answer to your question. I have a wee-little girl who tops out at 56 lbs. She plays w/ her labby friends (male) and she looks so small next to them, although she definitely holds her own during their play.

When strangers see her, most think she's a puppy -- but she's closing in on 2 1/2. She also has a loose skin ~ something I thought she'd grow into when she was younger ... but obviously that's not going to happen.

Since you don't know your female's background (what is her name??) ... you're just going to have to wait and see. But if I was guessing, I'd say that at 10+ months of age she may not get much (if any) taller, but she'll fill out within the next year or two.

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Welcome to you, Goose and your new arrival.

If I remember right - Clancey didn't have his completely filled out broad chest until around 1 - 1 1/2

oh yeah - pics please ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Scout and friends Guest

(hijack) Chowhound, same here. Scout is often taken to be a puppy, and she's 3 1/2 now. I think it's a combination of her light colour and small size. She's 56 lbs as well.

I can't recall exactly when Scout grew to her full height, but it was between 1 1/2 and 2 that her chest filled out. All the best to you with your new girl - hope she and Goose have lots of fun together.

her name is "Biskit".. it fits so well. I am going to weigh her tonight. It doesn't really matter to me about her size, she's a keeper. the woman from the humane society rescued her from a kill shelter and they were going to put her to sleep b/c she was black, they say black dogs are usually the last ones to go. Purebred lab, no behavior issues and she was going to be put to sleep!?

Goose is black as well...btw working on pics.

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by goose
    her name is "Biskit".. it fits so well. I am going to weigh her tonight. It doesn't really matter to me about her size, she's a keeper. the woman from the humane society rescued her from a kill shelter and they were going to put her to sleep b/c she was black, they say black dogs are usually the last ones to go. Purebred lab, no behavior issues and she was going to be put to sleep!?
    That's so sad. Lucky her. Can't wait to see your pictures. I just can't understand what people have against black dogs. I love them. Especially when they have really shiny coats.

ok I weighed her yesterday, she is 59 lbs at 10 months, goose is right at 80. I would have sworn she was 45 lbs...I quess goose's head and all seem so much bigger and overall thicker around the body...59lbs at 10 months, she may be a big one. I will have an update on their living situation soon, {getting along and what not}, are there any warning signs I should look for? they seem to get along really well when I am around. the female is young so she tries to take all the attention.

meandclint is offline Senior Member

Typically in show bred (English) style dogs there is about a 15 - 20 lbs difference between males and females. I have big girls - one is 75 lbs and her daughter is 79 lbs. My males are 84 lbs and 94 lbs.

my boy goose is not totally english, he has some american lines as well...I am thinking the adopted girl is not 100% either, she does have a ton of loose skin but her legs and tail are not as thick as goose's..she is eating like she has never had food before. I'm hoping for 70 to 75lbs, I guess we will see. Any advice on a new addition is appreciated. I've never had 2 at a time or a rescue. In the house they couldn't be better. Goose is the most laid back dog I've ever seen and would rather be submissive than to get in to any kind of altercation. the adopted female is 10 mnths and LOVES attention. I make sure to give Goose any attention first, everything he is first...although he never demands it. I think it will all work out. when I'm at work they stay in a fenced in area that is plenty big enough with a lot of chew toys ,shelter the whole nine yrds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast