How do you teach a lab to keep a treat on its nose?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you teach a lab to keep a treat on its nose?

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow do you teach a lab to keep a treat on its nose?

I should post this in training but here goes..

How do you teach a lab to keep a treat on its nose?

When ever I try to put a treat on Willow’s nose she just keeps trying to take it from my hand and when se follows it with her mouth I cant even get it close o her nose. :-\

The only luck I had we when I actually held her snout done with one hand then placed the treat wit the other, but then she just struggled with me so the treat wouldn’t stay....

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

DefaultRe: How do you teach a lab to keep a treat on its nose?

The only way I have been able to do it is hold their shout from the underside put the treat in top and say wait. then let go and give an OKAY before they have a chance to get it before I let go all the way.
    after time I dont hold on as tight. Dakota gets it the rest dont get it. Right now im still working on Jacey to take it easy..

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

We have the same problem. When we finally do put it on her nose, she just tilts her head down and it falls on the floor and she eats it. Not quite what I wanted to happen!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

This trick and roll over are the only one my Bobs is having trouble with too. She will leave really well, even something on her paw but when you get to her nose...................................snap snap = bleeding fingers. :-\

Silly naughty girl. She is getting better though so I think it is just perseverance. Good luck!

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LabMommyKathryn
    The only way I have been able to do it is hold their shout from the underside put the treat in top and say wait. then let go and give an OKAY before they have a chance to get it before I let go all the way.
    this is how i taught this trick, too.
    start with a VERY short time requirement for the treat on the nose trick. repeat several times to get the dog used to the oddness of having food placed on their nose. once they've acclamated, they'll be be able to increase the amount of time they can balance the treat on their nose.

if your dog doesn't already know how to "wait" and react to being "released," you should work on those cues first with treats placed on the floor.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Duct tape works pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by luke from georgia

if your dog doesn't already know how to "wait" and react to being "released," you should work on those cues first with treats placed on the floor.
    Bobbie knows this really well and will even leave food when it is on her paw but she just can't contain herself when you get near her mouth!

We are at the stage where Marlan will wait long enough for you to put it on, but then immediately points his head down so it slides to the floor. Then he eats it. Not very graceful!!!!

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbiesocks
    Quote Originally Posted by luke from georgia

Bobbie knows this really well and will even leave food when it is on her paw but she just can't contain herself when you get near her mouth!
    in this case, i recommend build up her self control.
    hold the treat in your closed fist near her mouth. ignore all attemps by her to obtain that treat. when she calms down (even for a second), say Good! (or something) and give her the treat. repeat and increase the required amount of time she has to wait to obtain the treat.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

fburke is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish
    Duct tape works pretty well.
    LOL I loved that one !! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast