Mira has some hearing loss

Thread: Mira has some hearing loss

Mirabella is offline Senior Member

DefaultMira has some hearing loss

It hit me today when she didn't look when the bunnies were running through the backyard. I had been thinking she sleeps so deep because she is over 11 now but it must be because she doesn't hear sounds that used to wake her up.
    She still hears but I have to talk louder.

Does anyone else had labs who have hearing loss? How old was your dog? How did they do with it and how did you help them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Mira has some hearing loss

I don't have a lab with hearing loss..but my other dog Kelly is going on 15 next March..and she is losing eyesight and has hearing loss..a bit. I just talk louder to her..or clap my hands to get her attention. It's funny tho..she can hear some words ie: biscuit/ go for a ride in the van, good stuff like that..so I'm wondering if it's not hearing loss, but just old age and not wanting to move when I say move. I know she has sight loss, definately, but she is not blind yet.

, Jackie

Dogs don't seem to mind when they lose their hearing. Just be extra careful when you're behind her, and make sure she sees you before you touch her.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Boomer was deaf there at the end. She was prolly about 12 or 13 when I noticed it. Remy is deaf now too. We do a lot of hand signals and if I need to get their attention I try to touch them gently in order not to scare her.

Laura

Mirabella is offline Senior Member

Thanks. She will be safe since I have a fenced yard and walk her on a leash. I have startled her by touching her before I realized her hearing was going. Now I will be more careful.

labby is offline Senior Member

There are lots of info out there for deaf dogs. Do a Google on Deaf Dogs. The wandering away is the thing that frightens me the most. The deafness sure doesn't seem to bother Remy though it frightens Uncle Bob and Auntie Ann when they come in to let the dogs out and Remy doesn't move when everyone else is jumping around and barking. They thought she was dead and freaked out a bit.

Laura

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

My tft is blind and almost deaf. I snap my fingers when I approach her and she hears that. Then I pet her gently to let her know I'm going to pick her up. Poor thing, other than that, she is still pretty spry. I hate watching our babies get old. It saddens your heart, it's a constant reminder that each day is a blessing with them. :-\

Caseys Mom Guest

Hershey wan't totally deaf but his last couple of years he couldn't hear very well. If he was awake and I wanted to get his attention, I would stomp my foot hard on the floor (vibrations work well on old wooden floors)) or flash the lights off and on a couple of times. If he was sleeping, I'd just go over and pet him gently until he woke up. He already knew hand signs so telling him what to do once he was looking at me was no problem. I also found that although he didn't seem to be able to hear my voice, he was able to hear me whistle if I wasn't too far from him. So you might try some other noises like whistling, hissing or the finger snapping and see if Mira can hear them better.

Kwinon is offline Senior Member

My Luna is totally deaf, and it doesn't slow her down a bit!

We communicate with hand signals. And if she doesn't like what I'm signaling She Turns Her Face Away From Me! ;D

http://www.deafdogs.org/ is where you want to go for info. They have a forum, too.