Okay! What's this about, HK?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay! What's this about, HK?

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultOkay! What's this about, HK?

So we are taking a third 6 week sequence with the trainers we started puppy school with. They called me to tell me that they had three other dog/owner pairs that were at about the same stage and wanted to know if they could pull together an appropriate class.

It provides me with another scheduled opportunity for training, some for reinforcement, some for learning a new way to correct or motivate, and some knew skills.

It turns out that last night was the third class and HK has been the star student although not by much, and I am not at all biased. Half way through the class, HK decides to lay down and bark at anyone coming near her, human or dog. Not a mean bark, just a bark. She will not move from her position, will not respond to any command. Lays there, head to the ground, but ears perked and eyes bright. The two trainers each try to correct her to a sit or come. Nothing! She has decided to go on strike. I tried to take her outside, and still, no way to move her short of dragging or lifting. She is just laying there and barking if something comes into the area she has decided was hers. Okay, we all deal with this for the second half hour. I am frustrated, the others are feeling sorry for me and wondering what is wrong with HK, the trainers are befuddled and want me to call them when i figure it out and suggested taking her to the eVet last night or this morning if things don't change. Class is over, everyone is getting ready to leave. I am wondering if I am going to have to carry her to the car. She must have figured the contract was negotiated and the strike settled when she saw the other dogs leaving. She bounced t a sit, did a perfect heel out of the building, and executed all basic commands in the parking lot. She was fine for the rest of the evening and this morning.

ANY IDEAS????? What was with her? How do i break her out of this if it happens again.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Okay! What's this about, HK?

Sorry had to laugh a bit. Sounds like HK is just exercising her stubborn streak

Ummm, might sound a little simple but did you try just heeling her off. If HK chose to stay down, you would be dragging her but if you did not give up, she should quickly realise that she was getting nowhere by just laying there and that when you say "move" you want her to move right now.

I agree that it might be a stubborn streak and you might be just playing into it by letting HK away with things.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trust me, HK was told to sit, stand, heel, come, fetch, and take it. Nada. We tried pulling her up to a sit. She did not fight it, but played the dead weight game. Released the lead, and she just dropped in place, never did support her front end with her legs. Tried to pull her into a stand, same result. On come, I basically pulled her about 4 feet, dead weight. She didn't fight it, just refused to cooperate. Treat luring didn't even have an effect. She was on strike and waiting for the cops to show up to carry her off to the van for transport to jail.

I had to let her lay after working the issue for over 5 minutes. There were others there hoping to get something out of class. I weighed the option of letting her lay there, or hauling her out of class and home. I didn't know which would have been the reward vs punishment for her. I opted to let her lay so I could watch the rest of the class and maybe learn something.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Merlot_1 Guest

Who Knows why they do the things they do, or what they are thinking ???Hey, when you find out,let me know

Dogs go through rebellious stage/teenage periods. Maybe she started hers during class.

Here is an idea that just occurred to me.

When i was at the Doggie Palooza this past Saturday, there was this couple that had a booth set up that offered their services to communicate with your dog. You could schedule a two hour appointment and present the questions you would like to have your dog answer, and they would communicate with your dog ??? and tell you what the dog said ??? ??? ??? when you come back to pick him/her up.

Maybe I should contact them. <NOT>

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

LMAO...sorry...I have a good visual of that. Stubborn dog vs. mommy! I have no suggestions, but I'm glad that I'm not the only one. BTW, Thunder is 4.5 yrs and still tests me to this day!!!

It's not the destination, it's the journey!

guinnysmom is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a little stubborn "I don't wanna play no more dad!" Guinness did this to us at obedience school. He was a nightmare...would not listen, jumped on me, chewed his leash...just a general pain in the ***. When I took him home he could do every command, no problem. Ended up we got the "participation" ribbon in class , but Guinness still knows all the commands at home. Pretty sure everyone at class was glad they didn't get one of those hyper, out of control, chocolate labs! ;D

My friends malinois did that at our heeling class. She was just burned out and overwhelmed. My friend changed the way she motivated her (used more toys in class) and it seemed to work much better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast