Puppy Fatigue....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Fatigue....

DefaultPuppy Fatigue....

We got our pup (Rosie) when she was eight weeks old...tomorrow she hits the 16-week mark.

Two weeks after Rosie arrived, our almost-11-year-old (Stormy) was hit by a car. She's recovering (story on the "Senior" board), but the old girl has really been slowing down this past year.

I feel as though I've hit the wall with the puppy in the past week. She's a fun, playful pup...but it's so much work. I feel as though I haven't had a good night's sleep in weeks. I keep waking in the middle of the night, everytime I hear her moving around in the crate (we keep the crate in the kitchen downstairs, but it's a very small house). Rosie is well-behaved, I suppose, but all pups demand a ton of attention...and I'm not sure I was prepared for the amount of work it is. I have a four-hour round-trip commute to work each weekday, and I feel like I'm running on fumes ever since Rosie arrived.

The older dog (Stormy) doesn't want anything to do with the puppy. She just wants to sleep. And the puppy annoys her whenever they're together. I feel bad for the old lady.

I hate to admit it, but I find myself getting really angry at the puppy, when all she's doing is being a puppy! I feel as though I've infringed on the older dog's quality of life, because she seems stressed.

Mostly, though, I'm afraid that our time with Stormy is coming to an end soon. And I'm frustrated because I can't devote all of my attention to her with the puppy around. Stormy has been an almost-perfect dog...a very tough act for Rosie to follow.

Sorry...just needed to vent. I guess I'm wondering if any of you have ever felt "puppied-out"?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Puppy Fatigue....

Yep, I know i did. I had no idea the amount of work it was going to take at that stage (and even now at 1 YR) for as high energy a dog a lab is.

it's been completely life changing as far as daily habits/schedule/free time/etc

I know i can get completely frustrated sometimes as i try to accomplish anything else in the evening. i've found it almost next to impossible, but at the end of the day, i wouldn't trade it for the world.

OH...and days i do go into the office(not much anymore) it's a 2 hour round trip. i can't even IMAGINE a 4 hour daily commute. I did do the 2 hour commute for about 2 years straight, and i can completely sympathize. Just speaking for a 2 hour roundtrip, let alone 4, the amount of stress that causes after awhile is unbelievable. i don't know how you can keep that up. I would have left my current position if i couldn't work from home as regularly as i do. Undoubtedly that is contributing to your mental state when you come home and need to deal with a puppy.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

I think we all go through that especially when you have been used to an older dog. You want a puppy in age but want it to act like an older dog. Doesn't happen. Puppies are like little children, they need a lot of attention. It seems you get to the point where you are at your wits end, can't take much more of puppyhood, and if you go a little farther you find that your pup goes from being a puppy to an adolescent. Bad to worse. Then you really ask yourself 'what was I thinking' getting a pup. Then just a few short months you find that terror, that brat that you brought into your home starts to grow up. You notice that it no longer takes effort to pay attention to her, it has turned into a passion between you two and comes naturally. Then you look at that dog and no longer see a puppy but a young adult. Yes this simplifies things, it takes time and it's easy for me to say hang in there. But trust me, my pup will be 2 in November and I'm so glad we have her. Was she a pain in the butt? of course she still is but my life wouldn't be complete without her. I went from a 13 yo & 12 yo dogs to a 4 mo pup. Talk about going into shock! I just wanted my old dog back. I didn't want to have to train another dog. I missed my old girl, this youngster made me crazy but you know what, I fell in love with her. We grew together, and now I couldn't imagine life without her. Then we went and adopted a sister for her and I really wondered what we were thinking. Now one is 4 and the other 2, and I would do it all again!! It was worth the lack of sleep, the irritation, the time that it takes, the frustration, every bit of it. It's worth every minute. Give this pup a lot of play time, but give your old gal her fair share. It's hard, but you will appreciate it in the long run. One day you'll wake up and think my life would be so empty without them. But most importantly, allow yourself to fall in love with the pup. Completely. Rosie is trying to find her spot in your heart and in your life. Give her the chance and time it takes to find her place. You'll be glad you did. They're time with us is so short anyway, you have to enjoy each step of the journey even the trying times become part of the good memories.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Okay, I will weigh in. This overweight 62 year old forgot what puppy meant. Our previous one lived to 15, and we were without a dog for 3 additional years. Fortnately, once we got to the point when HK slept through the night, she goes to her place at 9:00 and stays there. That gives me an hour to get my stuff, whatever it is done. I sleep from 10-5. From 5 am till 9 pm, if I am not at work, I am with Hershey Kisses. Playong, training, dog parks, walking around Petsmart, training school, fetch in the yard, walks, whatever. She wears me down, like I haven't been worn down before. BUT she has also worn 20 pounds off me and it appears she is not done, that is greater than great.

So, she is a lot of work, I am tired, worn down, and looking forward to doing it again tomorrow. I wouldn't undo our decision to get a Lab pup for anything. I love every one of those 64 pounds of energy.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

Somehow we always forget how much energy a puppy has. I don't know if this will help but friends of mine had a good way of tiring a puppy out without using too much energy. They would go to opposite sides of the room, sometimes sitting or sometimes standing depending upon the room. Then they would toss a ball to each other, basically playing keep away or monkey in the middle. The dog does all the work running from one person to another, and you guys just throw a ball between each other.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I have definitely felt that way in the past, but honestly you will get used to it and your puppy will soon start to become one with the family. And, when your lovely Stormie does pass, your Rosie will always be the link to her. I found that with my girl Magnum... she links me to my past dog Shadow. My eyes will still well up with tears when I talk to Magnum about her "grandpa brother, Shadow." I find great comfort in that link.. knowing I had Magnum when I had Shadow. I hope that makes some sense to you and that you will find it to be comforting in the same way some day.

Hang in there. Rosie is a beautiful pup.

Quote Originally Posted by DFWLab
    it's been completely life changing as far as daily habits/schedule/free time/etc
    Man do I agree 100%

I still get my time in to do what needs to be done, but my entire sleeping/living schedule has gone crazy since I got Toshi. I love her very much and shes worth all the changes though! Good thing I can wear her out easily running around the yard or playing inside, and then she'll sleep for 2-5 hrs at a time.

Our neighbors also adopted a puppy just 2 weeks before I got Toshi and they are having a ball playing with each other. We just let them both lose to play all over our two yards. They're both becoming fast play friends!

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rangermom
    Somehow we always forget how much energy a puppy has. I don't know if this will help but friends of mine had a good way of tiring a puppy out without using too much energy. They would go to opposite sides of the room, sometimes sitting or sometimes standing depending upon the room. Then they would toss a ball to each other, basically playing keep away or monkey in the middle. The dog does all the work running from one person to another, and you guys just throw a ball between each other.
    Have to tell you after a 10hr. shift I defiantly had to find ways to ware Sammi out when I already was! Luckily we have a long hallway, I can sit in the chair and just throw the ball, o.k I know throwing the ball in the house yada yada! But it works, she gets to retrieve and i get to rest! Also I do training, Sit stays, lay etc. All things I can do with little effort, she gets attention and everyone is happy! But have to say, "what were you thinking" puppies are so much work, and with a 4 hour commute! Man oh man, no way I could do it! I am sorry about your "senior" it is so hard to watch them slow down, knowing that one day they will know longer be with us! :'(- Good luck, I am sorry you have your hands so full right now, but please do not give up on the little one, one day you will know that all of this hard work was well worth it!

Well, you caught ME on the right night with this post! First let me say, your labs are beautiful! Now, I just worked 5 hours overtime moving offices for attorneys. . . tomorrow I will have to hear about what is wrong with their moves. Anyway, I came home, wanted to read the mail (my husband had been home for hours) and Drake wants to play, bark, mouth and just completely misbehave. I asked my husband if he did anything at all with him all evening and he said yes, he played with him. Now, his idea of play and Drake's idea of play are two different things. I know Drake didn't get his usual exercise that he gets when I get home. So yes, I can completely understand where you are coming from. I have not slept past 5:00 a.m. since Drake came home. My chocolate was 14 years old when I lost him. I had not had a puppy in 14 years and had forgotten. . . forgotten the lost sleep, forgotten the longer walks, forgotten the teething, chewing, jumping and a vocabulary filled with no, no, no. . . need I go on? All I can say is hang in there and know that there are many on here that can sympathize with you. Vent anytime. . . we will all listen, and there is some comfort knowing that there is someone listening. Rosi will come around and will fall into the pawprints of Stormy. It will take time and she will try your patience, but she will come around. I repeat that in my head everyday. . . Drake will come around and it won't be long before he was the wise old man that my Dakota was. Oh, now I'm tearing up. We wish them past the puppy stage everyday and then they are grown and with us not near long enough.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Rider sent me into fits. He was my first puppy without my parents. I remember standing in my back yard just crying and screaming at myself for how stupid of a mistake it was to have gotten him. Then, we got into a groove...our routines clicked, and I can say that those first 3 weeks were the hardest...but damn...so worth it. I couldn't even imagine my life without Rider, 4 years later, he is my heart dog...and one of the reasons I met my best friends, and started the rescue. Rookie was a much easier puppy...but there are still times when I am like "STOP being such a freak," and then I remember how good I have it....and snuggle with my boys instead.

Take a deep breath, go outside, have a beer and scream your head off while your pup is inside. You'll be surprised how good it feels from time to time. Hang in there.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast