Serious question about Breeding
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious question about Breeding

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultSerious question about Breeding

Labby/Laura - you made a comment in another post, specifically regarding breeding:

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Any average breeding will not improve the breed. The breed doesn't need improving. The breed is fine as it is.
    I'm curious then....why then is the reason for someone to breed? Over populate? Money? I hope not.

I was always under the impression that the reason for breeding is to do exactly that - to contribute to the improvement of the breed. Of course in doing so, being careful in the consideration of the physical qualities and temperament of the proposed parents, their individual strengths and weaknesses, and how their pedigrees (ancestors) relate. - No?

I guess if I've been wrong all these years, I'd like another way to understand.

Thanks.
    Brenda from Connecticut

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Serious question about Breeding

I think what she was saying was two average "pet" dogs will not improve the breed. This is where health testing and earned titles come into play...when you are planning a litter you want to improve on your dogs qualities and not just send out more of the same.

Oh yes, I absolutely took it in that context. However, I believe I have specifically seen Labby reference how she personally does not breed to "better" the breed....in fact, humbling herself in a way of saying "how can I alone, better the breed?". I'll try to find that reference.

I guess I'm wondering if that is all Breeders feelings - or do you in fact try to perfect your particular breeding or the breed itself - does that make sense?
    Brenda from Connecticut

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

"any average breeding".

Back in my other lifetime when I worked for/with a poodle show kennel (1962-1965), they took the best finished (Champion) bitch they had and scoured the show world for the very, very best finished complementary stud they could find. The real purpose was to hopefully produce at least one puppy in a litter that would go on to win 'big time', and then carry on that particular bloodline. They considered a breeding successful if it produced that one outstanding puppy.

At the same time they were extremely aware of temperament because the rest of the litter were to be placed as 'pets'. And they did have spay/neuter clauses in their sales contracts way back then too. They were not breeding just to produce nice pets - they were after that outstanding big time show winning dog/bitch.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

So, then Judy - in your opinion.....that particular Breeders reasons were for Show/Conformation purposes - trying to get an even better dog in the ring?

This is so interesting to me.....
    Brenda from Connecticut

labby is offline Senior Member

The idea for breeding is different for every breeder. The breed doesn't need improving or bettering. You breed with the mindset that you will not take a step backward.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    The idea for breeding is different for every breeder. The breed doesn't need improving or bettering. You breed with the mindset that you will not take a step backward.
    okay, but what about bettering for a healthier dog (i.e., allergies, seizures, eye/hip problems, temperament) - isn't that how the term "betterment" is being used in context whenever I hear it in that way? Perhaps the breed itself doesn't need improving, but in some ways, isn't the Breeder's motivation to improve upon THEIR own stock?
    Brenda from Connecticut

Dani is offline Senior Member

Brenda, a good breeder wouldn't breed a dog that has those aspects or problems though. You do want to breed to improve upon your lines, but you don't want to bring faults into it either...and you certainly would not want to produce pups that will go to pet homes with problems...that would not help a reputation.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Gotcha. I get that. So, then don't you breed for the betterment (aka: improvement) of the dog/breed? Am I missing something?
    Brenda from Connecticut

Dani is offline Senior Member

It's more of a subtle improvement in my understanding...for instance...if you have a nice girl that has finished her championship and has some other titles...but maybe lacks a little in coat, you'd want to breed her to a stud that carries more coat to produce puppies that have a more correct coat...slight faults....say your line lacks in second thighs or have traditionally low tail sets...you are breeding to eliminate that out of your lines to make a better pup for YOU (and your lines)...not for the entire breed.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast