What an odd development
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What an odd development

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat an odd development

My girl Ellie Mae came into heat in Feb. She normally stays in the house with us all the time, but we put her out in the fenced back yard one night as the dishes hit the table when we had "non-dog folks" over for supper. Soon as the dishes were up, go outside, and BOOM, someone dug a Stalag 13 size tunnel under the fence to get to her, all during supper. Just to be safe, we gave her "the shot" so as not to have any British FT Lab/Beagle mixes running around. Our Vet said the shot would cause her to come into heat LATE next time. So, what does she do? She comes into heat the last week of July, bleeding, licking, you know the drill. Seemed to come and go pretty quick, so we scratched a HT entry, and chalked it up to "muscular, working dog has quick early heat from shot."

Low and behold, she came BACK into heat on Monday. We called the vet, greatly perplexed, who says "This is the real heat, July was just a false/not full heat." What the heck? Gosh, I hope I don't have to deal with this every 60 days....at least we did not have to scratch anything for this one.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What an odd development

Umm...this may sound silly but why not just spay your girl. No more worries? or is there a health reason for not spaying. Or is she going to be competing and a potential breeding gal?

NEVER EVER EVER leave a female in heat outside unsupervised. You clearly saw what happens. And this was not a fluke. A male dog will scale fences if he smells her. Dryf has repeatedly scaled TWO fences (the second being over 6ft, the first being covered by a roof). All to get to a female in heat. (we quickly neutered him).

If you are unwilling to spay (this is clearly your choice) please keep her SUPERVISED at all times during a heat.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

She is presently competing, and will be potentially bred for one single litter next year, if she continues to improve and accrue titles. If, after next year's HT season is over, folks who are qualified to evaluate such things decide breeding her will not improve the breed, she will be spayed, and continue on her happy way training, hunting and running tests, and sleeping on the bed. Likewise, if we cannot find the right HT/FTmale, with characteristics to make a better dog when matched against Ellie's traits, she will be spayed. I am not in the BYB business! I certainly have learned about not letting them out of sight for a minute when they are in heat.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

ok - lesson learned
    It truely is hard to believe what dogs will to be breed isn't it!

Good luck with the HT season
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

labby is offline Senior Member

Any average breeding will not improve the breed. The breed doesn't need improving. The breed is fine as it is.

What is her pedigree like? Her health clearances? Those of the dogs behind her? Breeding a dog just because she does HT isn't the best reason to breed, IMHO. Labs retrieve. That's what they are supposed to do. Of course, its not the worst reason to breed either but it certainly isn't a reason to breed.

"The shot" can do a number on bitches. You might find yourself dealing with pyometra or odd seasons for quite a while. I've heard of bitches never conceiving after having the mismate shot. In fact, my mentor's bitch was given a mismate shot by her handler without informing her after the bitch was bred by another client's St. Bernard. The bitch was never able to conceive again and she was a top winning Labrador of her day. The handler never told my mentor that he had given her a mismate shot. She found out from another handler.

Anyway, my point is, your girl may never be normal. Its happened previously unfortunately.

Laura

OMG. Please forgive all of us who may want to breed our dogs if they turn out to become breeding prospects. My girl has nothing but FTC/FTW back 4 generations English Field Trial Champion/Field Trial Winner). Hips excellent. Elbows too. CERF clear. Same with sire and dam, and back from there. Respectfully, no one with any ethics breeds a dog "just because" they do hunt tests. Or at least no one does that I run tests with. Save the implied condescension for the BYB's in the papers who don't even know the meaning of CERF and OFA, and breed anything that walks for "pet dog puppies." And as I tried to make clear, its not a done deal that I will breed mine, there is a lot more she needs to achieve before that may happen. However, the tacit assumption that no one should breed their dogs makes me wonder where all the labs on this board come from, since there are not that many NAFC's, etc. running around, or the equivalent in show dogs/obediance dogs. I understand that no one wants shelters full of unwanted labs or puppies with genetic defects. I would not consider a potential HRCH/MH x GHRCH/MH breeding "average," and neither would most folks who run tests. Sorry if I come off a bit cranky here, but I LOATHE backyard breeders with some poor tired brood bitch stuck in a wire cage, and my state is full of them, and even the remote possibility of being lumped in with that bunch is a real button pusher for me.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast
    OMG. Please forgive all of us who may want to breed our dogs if they turn out to become breeding prospects. My girl has nothing but FTC/FTW back 4 generations English Field Trial Champion/Field Trial Winner). Hips excellent. Elbows too. CERF clear. Same with sire and dam, and back from there. Respectfully, no one with any ethics breeds a dog "just because" they do hunt tests. Or at least no one does that I run tests with. Save the implied condescension for the BYB's in the papers who don't even know the meaning of CERF and OFA, and breed anything that walks for "pet dog puppies." And as I tried to make clear, its not a done deal that I will breed mine, there is a lot more she needs to achieve before that may happen. However, the tacit assumption that no one should breed their dogs makes me wonder where all the labs on this board come from, since there are not that many NAFC's, etc. running around, or the equivalent in show dogs/obediance dogs. I understand that no one wants shelters full of unwanted labs or puppies with genetic defects. I would not consider a potential HRCH/MH x GHRCH/MH breeding "average," and neither would most folks who run tests. Sorry if I come off a bit cranky here, but I LOATHE backyard breeders with some poor tired brood bitch stuck in a wire cage, and my state is full of them, and even the remote possibility of being lumped in with that bunch is a real button pusher for me.
    +1

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

When people come on here and talk about breeding I think it's assumed that they don't know anything about breeding because the sad truth is, most of them don't. :P

Try not to get defensive. If you choose to breed your dog, many people are going to be critical and untrusting. This is because we care about the breed (and thus care about who is breeding their dogs). Not because we want to make you "feel bad/hurt." :
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Dani is offline Senior Member

With all due respect, I have seen dogs that are being run in HT that SHOULDN'T be bred, even with titles (I run my boy who is neutered). If they don't fit the standard...even with drive...they really shouldn't be bred....and while I am excited that you are doing all of the clearances....the face that you put your bitch that was standing in heat in a backyard with no real protection is stupid and irresponsible. I have heard of dogs crashing through windows and chewing through doors to get to a bitch that is standing in heat. That is just plain dumb.

I surely hope your bitch isn't greatly affected from that shot, which could ultimately affect all of your hard work in training her and keeping her intact because she may never be able to be bred anyways.

So anyways, you will find that your little laspe in judgement to allowing her to be out of your sight is a bigger irritant than you wanting to breed. If you are so against BYB's then you would guard your potential champion like you were guarding your daughter's virtue.

Just my two cents.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    When people come on here and talk about breeding I think it's assumed that they don't know anything about breeding because the sad truth is, most of them don't. :P

Try not to get defensive. If you choose to breed your dog, many people are going to be critical and untrusting. This is because we care about the breed (and thus care about who is breeding their dogs). Not because we want to make you "feel bad/hurt." :
    You assume too much. I visit several sites that mostly breeders post at and they often ask about post breeding discharge, ask about this or that, and it's because maybe they haven't experienced a certain problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast