Help before I lose my mind!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help before I lose my mind!

DefaultHelp before I lose my mind!

Jack and Apollo will be 5 months tomorrow and they are at their worst (I am hoping) :-[ on needing everything in their mouths. When I am at home with them, the problem is easily corrected and they will drop whatever they are trying to chew on (that they are not supposed to). The problem is during the day when I am not home. At first I kept them in the house baby gated in a hallway/nook area. In the past 2 weeks they have dug a hole through the wall....drywall and all....and chewed off part of the base board. So, starting last Thursday I moved them into another room (storage room) that is connected to the house. It is a fairly big room with concrete and unifinished walls (just drywall). I make sure to have chewey toys and their nyla bones in the rrom with them, but nooooo :P the wall is much better and they are destroying it. They are only pinned up from 7:30 am until 11:30 and 12:30pm until 3 pm but seem to do some damage. My mom recomended putting chicken wire on the wall? Any suggestions????
    Thank you!!
    Here is the latest pics of the wall destroyers

Jack

Jack and Apollo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Help before I lose my mind!

They're adorable.

5 mos. is a tough time. It's their teenage rebellious age.

Easiest, most simple solution to keep them save and you sane:

CRATE.
    Brenda from Connecticut

Yup! CRATE! They will love it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I keep them crated at night and when they want to nap, I just feel bad about keeping them crated for that amount of time. But these are the first dogs (expect family dogs growing up) that I have trained myself so I will definatley take your advice and try it! Thank you

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

I cringed when I was recommended a crate but, it is a lifesaver. Theirs and mine. Also for the cost of the crate, it is a cheap investment when you consider how much it can cost to repair what they can destroy. So I'm with the others, Get A Crate!!

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

It will ALSO keep them SAFE.... they chew on things they shouldn't, and they could get sick and die, or get an abstruction.... so the crate will keep them safe and sound...... your house too !!

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

Have to echo the recommendations of the others of the crate.

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

I understand your concern for having to leave them in it all day while you work, but many folks here do it.

Be sure the crate is big enough and get in some GOOD, LONG exercise before leaving for work (walk, retrieving). Also, provide them with a nice frozen stuffed kong, so they'll have something to keep them busy, as well as associate it with a good experience.

How long are they alone during the day?
    Brenda from Connecticut

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by agasser
    I keep them crated at night and when they want to nap, I just feel bad about keeping them crated for that amount of time. But these are the first dogs (expect family dogs growing up) that I have trained myself so I will definatley take your advice and try it! Thank you
    Don't feel bad. Think of it this way: You are protecting their safety. What if they eat a chunk of drywall and it causes an obstruction, or other such things.

Besides, they're still young and need lots of sleep. Chances are good that they will just sleep in the crate while you're gone.

Whenever I explain to someone about crate training and why I do it, I always say "I'm protecting my stuff from Baloo, and more importantly, protecting Baloo from himself!" ;D

Good luck.

P.s: They are much too cute to cause damage like that. I think they were framed. Aliens must have come in and done it. Yah.... that's it!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

I agree with crating while you're gone and wearing them out before you leave.

Your boys are really cute, by the way. I love the little after-digging dirty noses.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast