Walking a Dog with Agression Issues/Flexi Lead rant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking a Dog with Agression Issues/Flexi Lead rant

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultWalking a Dog with Agression Issues/Flexi Lead rant

I am dog sitting a German Shorthaired Pointer.

She can have aggression problems with some other dogs, especially when on leash (but not ONLY when on leash). Her owners are working her thru these problems as best they can and have made much progress but the problem is not solved.

She is great with Rocky on leash (the two of them) and when I meet other dogs I watch her like a hawk and try to walk very wide so nothing will happen.

A few hours ago I was walking near my place (both dogs). There was a little dog on my far left but quite far so I went more wide to the right (but there was also a dog far to the right so I had to watch out there). In retrospect I should have waited. But I did not realize the dog on the left was on a freaken flexi open all the way. Luckily nothing happened (like I said, she doesn't react all the time).

This is a vent. I know I was wrong, and should have waited until I could go more to the right. But does everyone just let their dog walk up to two strange dogs? I generally try not to get in people's way (with other dogs) cuz you never know (and I don't always want to deal with the sniffing/greeting). And why such a long flexi lead!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Walking a Dog with Agression Issues/Flexi Lead rant

Thank goodness nothing happen!

I'm with you......I HATE FLEXI'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Brenda from Connecticut

Oh grrrrrr!!!! I hate owners who use Flexis as a 10ft/15ft leash (or however long Flexis are) and pay no attention to their dog!!!!!

I don't want to generalize, but in our experience, it has been for the most part, owners with smaller dogs. Henry once had a Westie all in his face, one who was repeatedly hitting the end of his Flexi. When we walk in the park, it's always the owners of little Flexi'd dogs who let their dog all over the walkway, in danger from bikes, rollerbladers, other dogs... >

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well Tanya there are a few who let their dogs missbehave.
    I was walking all 3 dogs the other day. When another dog approaches, I have been working on getting them all to sit and watch as the other dog goes by.
    Out on our walk early in the am, here comes this mom walking her kids to school and also walking a little dog on a flexi lead. We crossed the street to avoid them as my dogs are big and can scare a little child, especially when I have all 3 who are still not 100% realiable to do a sit when a dog let alone a child comes near.
    The mother decides that she will let the flexi lead out. Her dog comes right up to my crowd, starts jumping all over them wanting to play. Well of course my girls were quite willing to accomodate the invitation. The leads get all tangled up and wound around my feet (You all know the drill).

Then the mother has the nerve to scold her dog for coming over and causing mahem on my side of the street. SHe had the control of the flexi leed. So whose &&%$% fault was it? Not her dog's for sure.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I'm not a flexi fan either.

Worse, There are a few houses along our walking route that have their dogs tied out front. These dogs are on a line that is long enough to just reach the end of their property. So when we walk by (and I don't see 'em ahead of time, if I do, we cross the street) these dogs charge me and my dogs barking their fool heads off, hackles raised, the whole 9 yards. (have I mentioned how much I hate tie-outs?? >)

Here's an idea: Walk your dog. Don't just tie them in the yard so that they get their exercise by scaring the daylights out of me. :

I hear you on the frustration. Peanut can be leash reactive. I love (*sarcasm*) when people let their dogs run up to her, shouting from 20 feet away, "Don't worry, he's friendly!!" :

I wanna be like, "Well that's all fine and good.... but she's NOT." (Idjit.)

People are stoopid. :P
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Maiah is all talk - I wasn't worried she'd hurt anyone but it's best to avoid the stress of it all. We actually had two run in with a rambunctious 4mt old chocolate lab :-* and she was fine (the puppy was after Rocky anyway) - the owner of the pup apologized and was great about it.

Like you said Baloo - how do they know YOUR dog (on leash) doesn't have leash aggression. Or worse, FEAR when on leash (being scared of other dogs running into their space).

Guess we all have our stories! I can't believe that lady Michasmom! I would never just let any dog run up to THREE dogs - just think of the tangled leashes! (at minimum - it's a pain with two dogs all tangled)

I mostly see little dogs with flexi's - and little dogs with LOTS of loose leash. Once, at a blind corner, i ran into a dog - the owner was like 20 feet behind!! I had to wait until he caught up and retracted the leash to walk by.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

It is my gol to never use a flexi. I hope to have HK trained such that she is under full voice or hand signal control. This is a big deal for me, and I am not sure that I have the skill and consistency to help HK make it happen. However, for reasonably well behaved small dogs, that will never be under voice control (okay it is a biased statement, but I think is fairly applicable to the majority, not all, small breed owners) it is a good tool to let them have more sniffing range. It comes with the responsibility to reign the dog in at the appropriate times, (alos easier with the small breeds).
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Azusateach is offline Member

I have to say that I feel like I've got more control with the flexi-leash. I can grip it better and it's easier to keep short when needed. Fortunately I don't have dogs coming out of nowhere on the route I walk (not much choice in routes in my neighborhood), and the dogs I do see I know. Using the flexi is the only time Jed gets to run, and he actually seems to know when he's about at the end of his leash. From back to front, he's got 32' of exploring range. Works well for me.

I think the issue is people who don't know how to use them properly. Like all "tools", if they're misused/abused, they're just as dangerous as anything else.

I will say that I only use it when I'm walking him in my neighborhood. Other times he's on a regular leash -- largely because he likes to hold it in his mouth and occasionally gnaw on it, especially if we're camping & he's sittling beside me.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

We use a Flexi with Buddy when we have him at the park, or walking down our road. It's to let him explore and get a little more exercise than just walking at my pace on a 6' leash. I am teaching him to sit and wait when anyone passes, including people, dogs, and vehicles. I always retract the Flexi and put the brakes on it, as well as holding it with my hand 'just in case.' There have been several other people with dogs on Flexis that are not as polite, and I always ask them to keep their dogs away as Buddy is still learning to behave.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Can't stand Flexies. I've seen way too many malfunction or break at the wrong time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast