Grapes and raisins..,. toxic.

Thread: Grapes and raisins..,. toxic.

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

DefaultGrapes and raisins..,. toxic.

I got this through an e-mail. I have had various people say differently about grapes and raisins and dogs eating them. This is from the ASPCA.....

http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/....pdf?docID=189

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Grapes and raisins..,. toxic.

I know first hand that grapes are toxic. Jake ate two pounds and nearly died. He was in the hospital for several days.

Brookville, Pa.

I know I'm setting myself up here for the people that will say "dogs aren't wolves".... but I was watching a National Geographic show a few weeks ago about wolves... and the wolf packs in spain would sneak in and steal grapes from vinyards at night without harm for centuries.

Now i realize dogs aren't wolves, but I found it interesting that in evolutionary biology that this would actually become a toxic substance for dogs. This jumped out at me while i was watching the show(knowing about grapes/dogs) as a curious fact and seemed odd.

I know i'm not adding much here...just thought i'd mention it in case anyone could expand on it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I know this thanks to this forum and try to warn other dog owners I know.

I think as far as the wolves. Their bodies were made more to filter out that type of stuff since they ate raw meat and other things daily. Also they probably were not eating a pound at a time just a mouth full that they could steal.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I used to give grapes and raisins as treats all the time - never big amounts, but there was never a health issue.

I have to wonder whether our agricultural practices have something to do with this - pesticides, hormones, etc.