Dog Tricks

Thread: Dog Tricks

toyland444 is offline Senior Member

DefaultDog Tricks

We've been working with Cammy off and on about teaching her new tricks. So far she's learned: sit, down, leave it, shake, high five, hug, roll over, play dead, crawl, and speak. We're working on the trick "Spin". What else could I teach her? I'd love to hear what these beautiful labbies can do.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dog Tricks

"Leave it" is very valuable.

So also is "Heel" and building up longer "Stay!" 's

Also, "Sit!" at a distance (as when needed when a car is coming but your dog starts to cross in front of it).
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I taught my Cinder to balance things on her head and nose.
    Head shots

She weaves through legs and dances with me too.

I started to teach Lily to turn on the lights in our house but never finished because I could see that turning into a problem. Especially after I just repainted the house this year and did not want her scratching up the walls. For that I used the clicker method and putting sticker dots on target points.
    Kim

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I found 'long down' to be VERY valuable. He must laydown and relax until he's released. 5,10,15 minutes, etc...

working on DROP (can do it from short distances).(not a 'DROP -IT) It's an emergency 'down' where he must immediately stop and drop. It's kinda funny cause when I would show him the command, I would kinda use my arms to emphasize dropping straight down, by holding them out in front of me and pushing down. Now when he does the DROP, he mimicks me...he doesn't casually lay down, he throws his arms out and kinda flops down with his arms the same way i show it.

Jonah only knows a few so far (shake, play dead, sit, down, high five, and wait as long as it is only about a minute!).

My first lab, Asher, was great at tricks. One of everyone's favorites was the FSU Seminole War Chant, which she would do upon hearing the song. We basically took shake and developed it into the war chant (I guess you have to be a football fan to understand this move, but it basically was just like a person would do the tomahawk chop with one arm/hand, she would do it while sitting with one leg/paw). She could also balance a treat on her nose, and would sit their patiently until you said take it, then she'd toss it up and catch it.

The funniest thing was watching her if she was too excited when you called her over for a treat and just held it without saying anything, she'd go through every trick in the book before you said a word, trying to nail the right one for the treat!

toyland444 is offline Senior Member

She does know stay, drop it, and I have her do the trick with a treat on her nose and she has to wait for our signal. She usually catches it in mid air. I like the balancing tricks - Cinder looks adorable I'd like to work on a few more. Hopefully she'll have "Spin" down this week.

fburke is offline Senior Member

Willow loves a soccer ball that she is always playing with in the yard (I let some air out if it so she can pick it up). I have taught her to do two things with it..

When I throw it towards her and say “Volley” she will hit it back to me with her nose. If I say Catch she will usually catch it in mid air.

It’s funny to watch me play catch with a dog but she loves it !!

This started from her trying to catch but missing so when she did I just kept saying Volley…that is if it came back in my direction, it took some time but she got the idea…she will sometimes still just catch it but I’m still working on it.

I've taught Dakota.."come around". He sits away from me a bit, facing me..I say come around and he goes to my right side and then around my back and sits on my left, facing the same way I am, then I treat him. Also, he has to "look" into my eyes before he eats anything, he sits and looks me right in the eyes..then I say "ok" for his dinner, or "yes" and then treat him. I need to work on some more. Oh..also for treats, he touches his muzzle to our mouth, no lick, just a "kiss", that is something my husband taught him.
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by toyland444
    We've been working with Cammy off and on about teaching her new tricks. So far she's learned: sit, down, leave it, shake, high five, hug, roll over, play dead, crawl, and speak. We're working on the trick "Spin". What else could I teach her? I'd love to hear what these beautiful labbies can do.