Shhhhh! Sunday Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shhhhh! Sunday Update

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultShhhhh! Sunday Update

It's soooo quiet here tonight!

No bitey face, no throwing balls at me, no knocking my hand off the keyboard. :P

The boys went back to Winter Park about 5:00 tonight. They ran after a bumper for about half an hour, did a little obedience, then ran after the bumper some more.

Ahhhh, peace! I wish we could do this with them every day. It is true what they say about a tired Lab.

In other news, we started Angus' multitude of supplements tonight. There are about seven different things he is taking now. Five of these came from the crazy holistic vet the other day. Yes I am giving them. I paid like $150 for the damn things, you bet I am giving them! Seriously, though, I did look them all up and there is no reason not to really. They are all pretty general, all-around kind of supplements that could do no harm. The only one I was a little concerned about was a mix of Chinese herbs. Not a huge fan of products from China at the moment. I told the vet this and he sent me home with it anyway. But, I was looking at the label more closely today, and: Made in Cananda. Oh, OK! Cool!

But the plan is to start him slowly and not give him ALL of these at once. If he did have a problem, I wouldn't know what caused it. So tonight we started out by adding to his usual regimen of colostrum and digestive enzymes: Acidophilus (no way can this hurt anything), Flax seed oil (ditto), and a full spectrum mineral tablet. This was the one I was most concerned about, and if anything negative happens this is where I will lay the blame.

So, a funny story: These mineral tablets are like horse pills. HUGE! Everything gets mixed in his food, So I broke it in half and put both halves in the bowl.

OK. So you know how you think they are wolfing their food and not even chewing it, much less paying any attention to what it is? WRONG, people, WRONG! Angus went through his whole bowl of food and I noticed the mineral tablet kept getting pushed to the side. Finally, he took it in with a mouthful of food, swallowed the food, and very delicately spit the mineral tablet out on the floor! (No wonder, I'm sure it tastes absolutely nasty).

I let him get by with half a tablet tonight. We will build up to a whole one.

I think I will go for a couple or three days with just this combo, and then add stuff slowly.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Shhhhh! Sunday Update

It is amazing how they can separate things in their dog food dish as they inhale their food. I had a mutt as a kid who if there were 13 peas in his food at the beginning of the meal there were 13 peas at the end and the whole bowl of food had been inhaled.

Glad to hear the boys are resting after their busy afternoon.

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

Yeah, it's funny how they can be like that.

Sam actually would probably eat it. She eats the program (flea) pill without hiding it, but Shadow (the cat) wouldn't take that (program flea) pill in a pill pocket. I had to pick her up and stuff it into her mouth. Surprising she was ok with that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Hah! Jefferson is like tht. He will push his fish oil tablet around in his dish, then when he is done he will carry it round the house for a while before he finally eats it. Teddy never notices anything new in his dish--he is inhaling it too fast! He dives in with food flying everywhere. You never even hear him crunch! Gulp, down the hatch!
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I solve the nasty pill, I don't want it problem, by wrapping it in a half slice of American Cheese. HK just swallows it then, or maybe sucks it off my hand straight into her belly would be a better description.

Hmmm! What is American Cheese called in Canada, Holland, England? Its not like Swiss Cheese that has been around forever and brought over with the immigrants. Dumb questions float in my head all the time and occassionally one will splash out.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

brody is offline Senior Member

I dunno what American cheese is so I can't be sure but lots of folks I know use Cheese Whiz for pills

multiminerals usually taste disgusting - one of my dogs cannot tolerate her "full" dosage which means she gets half her minerals in multi format and the other half as individual supplements - PITA but there you go - she's still here and that's a good thing

she does react to flax so beware of that too

in fact I'd add one thing at time for three - five days before adding anything else - now I have learned this from an uber sensitive gal but if I had gone with multiple introductions I would never have known that flax, cod liver, a whole multivitamin, and a whole lot of other things can get her reacting

cheers

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus
    The only one I was a little concerned about was a mix of Chinese herbs. Not a huge fan of products from China at the moment. I told the vet this and he sent me home with it anyway. But, I was looking at the label more closely today, and: Made in Cananda. Oh, OK! Cool!
    So where's Cananda, Connie..? Can you be sure they're not evil-dog-harmers there too... cuz I've never heard of it... ???

Hee hee.... ;D
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

I think Canada is somewhere north of here. They seem pretty non-threatening, from what I have been able to gather.

Connie and "The Boys":

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus
    I think Canada is somewhere north of here. They seem pretty non-threatening, from what I have been able to gather.
    Psst: Connie! Your typo is showing. CaNANada.

Just north of the United StaTATes....

:P

OH! HAHAHAHAHA!

I like my spelling better, so I'm leaving it. 8)

Connie and "The Boys":

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast