Sad question.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad question.

Dawn is offline Senior Member

DefaultSad question.

:-\ Met a year-old lab today who has spent most of his life in a crate. ...... Don't ask ..... :-\ :-\

He's not socialized, untrained, but is very sweet and after spending a bit of time with him was very frisky and playful - seems healthy otherwise, but has lost the hair around one of his eyes. Any idea what this might be? Do you suppose it could be a result of crating, somehow? ??? Also, what would you think are the chances of a dog like this becoming a good pet? (He has a beautiful pedigree, and another pup from the same litter is about the smartest, sweetest, most mellow dog you could ever meet. ...)

??? ??? ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sad question.

No clue what might be going on with the hair loss. Could it be one of the manges? Would that be likely with a dog who rarely came into contact with others, though? Or was it a kennel situation?

Are you thinking of adopting this sweet baby?

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

My boy had spent 2 years of his life in a crate before I got him at 2 and a couple of months. He would be left in a crate for a full weekend (no food, no potty break). When his owners got home, they'd put him outside (not to play with him, but so he could play by himself). He jumped their fence frequently (I wouldn't blame him) unfortunately, he still jumps fences.

Anyways, with A LOT of work, he is now a house dog. It probably took him 3 months to come in the house (I have a covered outdoor kennel and grass runs for rescues and visitors - and he jumped on my dining room table the first day he came to my house - so he got put outside). He was only inside on a leash for short periods. All the while he was getting walked/run and obedience trained. It took him another couple of months not to pace in the house non stop. He is a great boy - lots of energy, which is why he stayed with me - he needed a job. He has his CD, RN, CGC and is a registered Therapy Dog. If I wasn't at school he'd have his agility titles and probably his CDX and in training for UD. Currently we are getting ready to compete for CDX.

Can they make a good pet? YES!!!! But you have to look at the individual dog. My boy still loves his crate, if I can't find him and the food room is locked, I know he's in his crate napping.

No clue about the eyes, doubt it has anything to do w/ the crate though, unless he's rubbing them on the bars.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would worry about how much socializtion the dog had during those critcal first weeks. When a pup learns bite inhibition, rules or play etc. also people socialization. Its hard to guess what if any long term problems could be casused by all that time in a crate. Some of this cannot be ingrained at this age of the dog. The hair loss could mange or maybe it rubs its face on the side of the crate, I suppose it could be many other things as well.

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

Several years ago one of my labs had his hair fall out all around one eye, poor thing looked like a panda bear- it turned out to be an allergic reaction to something he had come into contact with outdoors- he was prescribed a cream- sorry can't remember that far back what it was- but the hair fully returned in a short period.

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

Tanya is offline Senior Member

He could very well turn out to be a great, well adjusted, pet. It could, however, be a long road to get there, but you'd have to see the pup abit to find that out. There may be "quirks" he never looses.

could it be allergies (no fur around the eyes?)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Katies Mom is offline Senior Member

When we rescued Katie she had no hair around her one eye from stress from being in the pound.

Makes me very sad to hear this dog has been in a crate most of his life. :'( I hope your questions were due to the fact you are considering taking him in!

Bev.

Cissy has very little hair around her eyes. She also had demodex (sp?) mange as a pup. She also gets stressed easy. I think you could work on the training part but I would test out how he is with other dogs and groups of people. He's still very young and can be worked with but you might have one hyper pup on your hands for a while.

Joe Maringo is offline Senior Member

Hair loss around the eyes can be one of the first signs on mange. It also starts on the edges of the ears. If you scratch or play with the ear edges and get the dogs back leg to start to scratch like when you do a belly rub, it is a pretty good bet it is mange. It can also just be a sign of stress from being crated so much, but stress is also one of the main causes of mange.

Don't know if that is any help, but it could be a possible explanation.
    Southwest Pennsylvania Retriever Rescue Organization or S.P.A.R.R.O. and Shades Of Grey Senior Sanctuary
    A 501c3 Non Profit Organization.
    Plum, Pa.
    412-795-0163
    website www.sparro.org/

Saving one dog will not change the world But, surely, for that one dog the world will change forever!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast