Sad question. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sad question.

budbud is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sad question.

My Luke who passed last year was mostly crated for the 2 yrs of his short life when I got him home he would not even go near the crate so I did not force it he was so good and so very much like a puppy everyone thay met him remarked on the puppy he had his first taste of real freedom and what it was really like to be a doggie just going out into the yard was so very exciting to him it took about 6 months or so for him to calm down a bit but he enjoyed everyday to the fullest so I think there is tons of hope for this dog remember he is still very young and will adapt to a new life

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Katies Mom is offline Senior Member

Katie hasn't seen the inside of a crate for 5 years now. She spent way too much time in a crate with her previous owners and then in the pound for 3 months. Hasn't done one thing wrong. She is the perfect lab. She knows she got a second chance and won't blow it.

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

I know a few dogs that are crated more than I think is fair or normal, some are crated most of the day. .
    All of these dogs are incredibly sweet and love attention.
    I find that their world is very small and they are not as confident as dogs that haven't been excessively crated. Some actually prefer their crate and the routine because it is all they know..very sad.
    These dogs I am speaking of, there isn't one I wouldn't take on if they needed a home. They are all very nice dogs...
    How is this dog with other dogs? I guess that would be my biggest concern..

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dawn is offline Senior Member

How is this dog with other dogs? I guess that would be my biggest concern..

That, I don't know for sure, although there are 6 other dogs at the home in similar circumstances, and I believe they probably get outside a couple of times together every day to pee, etc. .... I am thinking seriously about taking him - can't get him out of my mind. He could not possibly have a better home than with us, but just have to hash out the pros and cons a bit more with my husband.

I am thinking seriously about taking him - can't get him out of my mind.
    That's how it was with my Sundance, who I got from the shelter. He turned out to be my heart dog......I hope things work out for you guys!

sloigo is offline Senior Member

Our Mary Piglet was just a couple of months old when we took her in as a foster. She had been dumped with her entire litter at a very rural shelter. She had not been exposed to ANYTHING outside a interior dog run & a trip to Petsmart on the weekend. Needless to say she would literally FREAK to any noise outside. We kept her because she was so funny & we were affraid if we were to adopt her out HER fears would be the reason she would get returned or worse! We have worked with her & with the help of our other fur girls I am proud to say Piggy can NOW even POTTY by the street even with a loud vehicle rolling by! She is still affraid of thunder storms but thats about it! Not bad considering she is just a little over a year old. I just need to get my thunderstorm cd & try to work on that. It just takes work & persistance & TREATS! lolol
    Piggy has a bald spot on her leg where she would CHEW on herself at the shelter, the skin healed a long time ago but she never grew hair there again. The vet said she must have damaged the root.
    I hope you help give this boy a life, it is rewarding. I can't imagine our family without our little Piggy Pie.
    Karen, Mom to the Lab Monkeys:
    Daisy DoBug YL 7 yr old
    Kiana YL 5/2006
    Piglet 4/2006 Lab @ Heart
    Liberty 7/2/2009
    **Bella Mia 5 yo (RIP~2/07)**
    *Molly Blu 2.5 yr old (RIP~7/06)*

LOLIN.ORG Saving one lab at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn
    He could not possibly have a better home than with us,
    He would indeed be a very lucky boy

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Dawn - no advice...but how wonderful for him! Please let us know your decision!

I hope DH says OK!

I think with a lot of patience and love and work this dog could become a wonderful house dog. And I think youre the absolute right person for that job. He would be lucky indeed. Good luck, Dawn!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12