Bird Seed

Thread: Bird Seed

DefaultBird Seed

I recently heard of a case where a dog (Lab as it happens) got into some bird seed that had fallen onto the ground. It apparently died shortly after becoming ill. Very sad. I believe that the dog died from afloxin poisoning. I know that afloxin is associated with corn, but can it be in other grains?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bird Seed

Yes it can! Rice doesn't seem to be commonly affected, but wheat and barley are both susceptible. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on those two, but that seems to be what I remember reading. I'm sure about the wheat, not as certain about the barley.

Sorry, no reference. Just remember finding two grains other than corn - wheat and something else - that were red-listed in my head.

I remember Brenda used to always tell me about Jules eating bird seed. One of her favorite things to do was sit under the bird feeder and nibble at the seed that had fallen below. :'( But she didn't have any ill effects, apparently.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

Jake just about lives under the bird feeder when he is outside. I mainly keep sunflower seeds in it, but on occasion I put a mix in. He has never had any problems is the past 4 years of eating what falls on the ground.

Brookville, Pa.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

I have guinea pigs that are in hutches with attached runs, every couple of days i move them around the back lawn so that they can eat the fresh grass.

Any poop, veggies or piggy food- which contains nuts cereal, seeds and grains- which gets left behind gets polished up by the dogs. They have been doing this for years now and touch wood, have had no ill effects.

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#