not eating?!?!?!?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: not eating?!?!?!?

Defaultnot eating?!?!?!?

Hello everyone. I just introduced myself in the welcome section. I have a problem and I hope someone can help! Let me give you some background history. Chassis has always been a chow hound......gone in 60 seconds! We boarded her for 10 days in July and ever since she came home, her eating pace has decreased drastically. We called the vet and he assured us that it was probably the stress of being gone so long. She eats Nutro lamb and rice due to being allergic to chicken, corn, and wheat (not verified, just supposed from the vet due to continued ear infections and itching and licking of paws)
    Well, 2 weeks ago, she was at the vet due to vomiting and diarrhea and a yeasty ear infection. They put her on meds for her ear infection and gave her a shot to settle her tummy. Good to go....no more vomiting or diarrhea. Well, this past Friday we were back at the vet again. Now her slow eating pace has turned into not wanting to eat at all. Vet took blood, called us that night and told us the results were all normal and told us to resume the meds that they told us to stop on Thursday until we could get her to the vet on Friday. She ate dinner Friday night, but she hadn't had breakfast, so I'm sure she was hungry. Since then, she does not want to eat. We have tried dry (since she is used to it being moistened), we have tried no apple cider vinegar, we have tried no yogurt, we even went and bought a new bag of food since we thought maybe the old food was stale. Nothing is working. The vet said that a dogs' eating habits do change as they get older or as it gets hotter, but it is somewhat cool now in VA. and she will only be a year old in October. Please offer any and all suggestions you may have.
    Thank you so much!
    Courtney

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LKG

DefaultRe: not eating?!?!?!?

I'm sure some more experienced folks will jump in here, but I am wondering if you've thought about getting a second opinion?? I would be concerned about your dog not eating at all and I don't believe that's simply a natural change in eating habits. How much are you feeding her? Is she still doing her "business" regularly?? Is she drinking water?

She is drinking normally and pooping normally. She eats 2 cups in the am and 2 cups in the pm. She still has not touched breakfast

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

Is there any thing at all that she likes to eat? A very very favorite thing? If she doesn't want that, there's got to be something the vet is missing.
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

It is just her meals. She still drools for her treats and hasn't turned down those yet. She only gets those after going to the bathroom, so she isn't over-eating on them. ??? Could it be that she just doesn't want this food anymore?

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

Are you leaving the food out all the time? If you are, I would suggest picking it up after 10 minutes and not offering her anything (treats, cookies, carrots, etc.) the rest of the day. Then offer her her next meal at normal meal time. If she doesn't eat within 10 minutes, pick it up, wait until next meal.

I've had a few dogs go through a picky phase and just reinforced picking up the bowl and only offering food at feeding times. By the next day and a half, the dogs are eating and within 3 days, they are chowing down again.

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

Members of JL definitly have more experience than I do, but a few more questions. What was she being fed when she was boarded? Was it the same food?
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't worry too much if she's eating treats. Why not try another food. Mitzi loved Eagle Pack Lamb and Rice which is also corn and wheat free. Four cups a day is a lot. Mine get about two and a half cups a day. The diarrhea/vomiting thing seems to be going around.
    Welcome.

Thank you all for your help. We took her food with her when she was boarded. They claimed that she only got what we took.
    As for the past week, it doesn't matter if the food is up or down. She just isn't interested. When we first switched to this food (1st of the year) she didn't really care for it, but when we added a little warm water, she ate.....devoured is more like it. It has just been since she was boarded in July that she doesn't seem to care for it and in the past 2 weeks has decided she doesn't want it at all. Now, as far as switching foods.......Nutro lamb and rice was chosen due to suspected allergies to chicken, corn, and wheat. The ear infections have never gone away for long periods of time. She still has them. So, if I am going to pick another food (keeping allergies in mind, or not) what do I choose. This is so hard.....I thought raising kids was bad....lol.....at least they can talk to me. I know she has to be hungry, doesn't she? It is just so odd how all of this started with no other symptoms occuring. Keep the input coming please, I can't stand to not know how to help her :'(

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

How long has she gone without eating? (and I mean nothing, not even treats).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast