hive reaction time frame

Thread: hive reaction time frame

Defaulthive reaction time frame

Hi guys.. OK Some of you may remember that Shadow had a reaction to something and had a very swollen face muzzle and eyes with hives on his face and body. I did the benedryl thing and he is doing much better. He is still having some itchyness tho..how long if it was indeed we think a spider bite should a reaction take to go away? I would think 24 hours of benedryl dosing would kick it but it seems he may be still have some of the reaction.... how long does a reaction take to resolve without me worrying something is really wrong??

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: hive reaction time frame

Wish I could help...... but I don't know..... I hope it all goes away soon !

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Well, I'm not a vet, but I would think 24 hours would do it too. ???

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

When Abby got her hives a couple of years ago, it was about 24, 36 hours before they were gone completely. Speaking from personal experience with food allergies, it can take days for the hives to go away.

Hope that helps a bit
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Speaking from recent experience, after a day and half, a trip to the vet might be advised. (https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,57681.0.html)

I took Stoops in the first night (Friday) b/c the welts were growing so fast I was worried about his airway. They injected him with Benedryl and sent me home with instructions to give it to him orally as needed. I couldn't keep it under control, so back he went on Monday to our regular vet who was a bit worried. After giving him a good once over, she thought it might be a reaction to staph or strep, and we found a number of small circular lesions that looked like they could be an infection, perhaps secondary to a bite.

She put him on a different antihistamine and cephalexin and he's done great ever since. And, he's not drowsy, a side effect I didn't like with the benedryl. We talked about getting an epi-pen for him too... just in case it ever got really bad.

Anyway, best of luck to you and Shadow!

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Emma had hives just last week. We think an insect stung her on her nose, as she had a very distinct welt on her nose and the eye on that same side was badly swollen. I realized she had hives at 10:00 at night. I dosed her with Benadryl and took her in to the vet first thing the next morning. The vet gave her a shot of Dexamethasone, which lasts 3 to 5 days. The vet also had me keep her on Benadryl for several days after the visit, until the itching subsided completely. I think I ended up keeping her on Benadryl for about 5 days after the initial hives.

FYI, allergic reactions continue to build for 72 hours, so at 24 hours in you may not have even seen the worst of it.