Owner of 8 week old Choc. Lab knows best!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Owner of 8 week old Choc. Lab knows best!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultOwner of 8 week old Choc. Lab knows best!

So I went over to this Doggie Palooza thing. Fair tye atmosphere, lots of booths selling anything 'dog', Food vendors, trainers, shops, artists, photographers, Rescues, Humane Society, handmade collars, leads, toys, etc.
    various activities for the dogs, and at least 300 dogs. I wanted to let Hershey Kisses try the Lure Course, bt the line was 50 dogs long and I couldn't stay that long today. DW will be celebrating her 60th with all the kids that were due to arrive including the ones from KC that she doesn't know are coming.

So, I see this Choc Lab pup that I naturally gravitate to. HK and the pup are doing their sniffing and I ask how old. The owner says 8 weeks. I ask if she talked with her vet about taking her ot in public or near other dogs before her shot sequence is complete. She says she just got her yesterday ??? and hasn't been to see a vet yet. ??? I suggested she stop by the Univ booth and ask one of the vets there about her pup and being here. My vet told me to not take the pup away from home until her shots were complete. Sje told me that was ridiclous : and headed over to the booth. I was interested so I eaves dropped. 8) The vets (two of them) told her that the pup was too young and should be around this many dogs until her shots were complete, or at least one more in the sequence if she was in fact on the recommended schedule. The woman came unglued. Started yelling about how ridiculous that was. ??? This Doggie Palooza only happens once a year, and next year her dog won't be a pup any more, and she won't be able to show everyone her cute little Harshey (same name). The vets told her that she was putting the pup at risk of potential lethal disease and may not be around next year if she should contract Parvo or distemper, or others. The woman then said, 'Look! Its just a dog. If it gets sick and dies, then it gets sick and dies. > > I can get another one. > > > I want to see what is offered here so I know what to buy for my puppy. You people just want to make money for the veterinarians.' olice: olice: olice: olice:

Okay! She has me upset. If the pup doesn't get sick, I figure it is going to be given up before it is 6 months old. That would probably be the best thing for this poor puppy, assuming it finds a good home.

People should berequired to take a course, pass a test, and sign a statement of commitment before they are allowed to even pet a dog, forget about owning one.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Owner of 8 week old Choc. Lab knows best!

Ugh. Good on you for speaking up.

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    People should berequired to take a course, pass a test, and sign a statement of commitment before they are allowed to even pet a dog, forget about owning one.
    Same goes for people who are going to have kids. I just came back from Wal-Mart and the grocery store. Best form of birth control there is. I think it must have been "Screaming Kid in Aisle 4-Palooza" in both locations today.

I think you did the best thing by sending that woman over to the University booth. Kudos to you.

Boy, I wish they'd have one of those doggie fests here - that sounds like quite the fair.

Have a great weekend - and happy B-Day to your wife! Hope the party is lots of fun for all.

Bev.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Good for you Ed, for speaking up!!

The woman then said, 'Look! Its just a dog. If it gets sick and dies, then it gets sick and dies. I can get another one.
    This really burns me up. > Dogs are not replaceable, dogs are not disposable and dogs are certainly NOT accessories to be shown off.

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

Sure, she's an uneducated idiot, but what kind of breeder allowed one of their pups to go home with this person? No need to answer, I already know what kind.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaisdad
    Sure, she's an uneducated idiot, but what kind of breeder allowed one of their pups to go home with this person? No need to answer, I already know what kind.
    You beat me to the punch. I cannot imagine thinking "it is just a dog". Certainly the dog doesn't feel that way, nor should we. Funny how she reacted when they told her the exact opposite of what she watned to hear.

reminds me of a couple of months ago Tal and I drove to Wichita and went to Petco and Petsmart. There was a man there with a beautiful little 8 week old Golden. I kindly told him he should wait until the puppy had all its shots. Of course, like the woman, he knew what he was doing :

labby is offline Senior Member

Kinda reminds me of the gal who called once wanting a puppy. She didn't want to pay much because it was just going to live in the barn and if it got out and hit by a car they didn't want to be out a lot of money.

I told her to get a beanie baby Lab.

Laura

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

NO! NO! OMG! SHE DID NOT SAY THAT!

Oh MAN! I think I would have matched her unglued, and upped it by 150%! Good GRIEF! She is lucky to have made it out of there alive, IMO!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

georgie is offline Senior Member

Some people should never have dogs or kids. >

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    ...I told her to get a beanie baby Lab.
    I love it! Why couldn't I have thought of something like that at the time?

I wanted to be really harsh with the woman, but didn't want to get accused of harrass or assaulting anyone at the same time. I actually thought she was more responsibile when I saw her heading the the Vets booth. I thought she might respect what they said verses anything some other dumb Lab owner was trying to tell her. I guess she thinks the vets aren't any smarter than other owners.

I suppose many of us think about the possibility of breeding or Labs. This experience confirmed our decison to make sure HK dioes not produce any pups. After this exposure, I guess we would have to just keep any pups accidentally prodced unless a family member might possibly want one.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast