Canidae All Life Stages
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canidae All Life Stages

DefaultCanidae All Life Stages

Anybody feed this? Thoughts?

I'm looking for a new food - Nutro is just not cutting it anymore. And, it would be nice to have a food that both dogs can eat rather than having to buy different 40kg bags.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blackjack is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Canidae All Life Stages

That is what I am feeding. I went through a search when the vet told us to switch BJ from puppy to adult and I wanted to find a food for everybody not just him. The beagles were going through a long lasting ear infection that I was starting to believe might be partially food related. They were on Costco brand. Switched everybody to Canidae - their coats look good, nobody walks away from dinner and the ear infections are finally gone.

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

I tried it once, it is very good food, but wasn't great for my pup.

Maybe try Orijen. I have been using it for 6 months a really like it. The feed place (huge pet feed place) I get my food from told me the other day it is now their most popular food. By the way, 6 months ago - no one was buying it.

Good Luck.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

We went to Canidae after Nutro Ultra. I liked it. I only switched to find something with no grains for Angus.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

I just switched from Nutro Ultra Holistic to Canidae about a month ago. I did so mostly because Anne of Windy Canyon Labs (birdbrainz) talks it up so much--all her girls are on it. I decided that I would try it for a bit. The owner of a pet supply place here in town told me I had just switched from a 3 star food to a 5 star food. I really haven't seen any difference yet in coats. I'm not sure that I will see a difference. They were both pretty healthy and shiny on Nutro. The only difference I have seen is that their poops are much firmer. Teddy's were always a little soft on Nutro.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

labby is offline Senior Member

My dogs did horrid on it.

Laura

My gang did not do well on it....not at all. :-\

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Bella is obviously not a pure bred lab, but that being said, she's been on it for 5+ years and has done really well on it.

Bella

For those who didn't like it - what were the issues?

I have always found the dogs poop to be soft on Nutro - although now that Marlan is on the adult formula and is a bit older, his seem ok. Also - both dogs have eye boogies (Marlan, always, and Riggs since he ate Nutro) - which I believe is Nutro-related. I also heard that Nutro was a mid-grade food.

Coats were dull and dry and had soupy poops. With multiple dogs it got pretty rank in my back yard. Blech!

Whatever food your dog does well on is the right one for him...no matter what the "ranking" is. JMO...and of course YMMV. I feed PMI Exclusive Chicken and Rice Adult to all of our dogs from 4 months of age up to and including a nearly 12 YO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast