Can you love them too much..?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you love them too much..?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultCan you love them too much..?

Warning: Fairly Melancholy post (I'm just in that kind of mood.) :-\

Sometimes I think I love my dogs too much.

Sometimes I just look at them and I get tears in my eyes......is that crazy??

I can't imagine what I will do when "that day" comes. (Joe's post got me a thinkin..) I think I will seriously run the risk of total and complete breakdown... :'(

I was watching the pet network today, and there was a show about old dogs. There was a black lab on it, with an almost completely gray muzzle. I just looked at Baloo, and I can't imagine him being old... even though I know that that day will come eventually......

It makes me so sad that their lives are so relatively short. I remember my family/friends talking to me before we got Baloo, saying things like, "Are you ready for a commitment that could be like, 15 years long..??"

My answer: 15 years won't be anywhere near long enough.

Sorry for my melancholy whiny-ness. Thanks for reading.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Can you love them too much..?

I don't think we can love them too much. They give us so much and ask for so little.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I think you post is sweet. Having lost our last lab at the young age of 9 1/2, I know our time with these sweet labs is limited. I was just thinking this week how much I love Molly. She made me smile again after I lost Shadow. My normally independent girl has been like velcro this week with Dave & Abby gone.

I look in her eyes & I see the love & I get choked up. The love & loyalty they give us can not be measured.

I doubt that we could ever love these wonderful creatures too much.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

I know I love my dogs too much. I can't think about the day that either one is no longer with us.
    I can't even finish this post without getting all choked up thinking about this.

Can you ever love your friend too much? Or a family member for that matter? Cause Cheddar is both to our family. He is treated just as well (if not better somedays ) than our children. He is always there on bad days, and to protect my kids. If your pet is a part of your family the answer will always be no, you can't love them too much. Ever.

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

I definitely love mine -- too much? I dunno....and Simmy the cat too. I don't even like cats and didn't one, but he totally stole my heart. Hang on, gotta break up a dog/cat fight :. Ok, back. When I lost Callie so suddenly, I swore I was not getting another dog. 1.5 yrs. later and my daughter and husband wore me down. I agreed to get another, but swore I would absolutely NOT, under any circumstances, love another one so much because it hurts so badly when they cross.

We brought Riley home, and I held my ground for about 2 weeks, because she didn't still have a name and we had just found out that my husband was being deployed to Iraq. She had stomach issues and diahrea pooped all over the house at 4am and everyone but me was blissfully asleep, so I had to clean it all. I was so ready to take her back to the breeder because hell, she still didn't have a name and she pooped everywhere and I didn't want to be a "single mom" again.

I was sitting on the couch, ready to make the call and Riley crawled up on my lap and gave me those sad brown eyes. She had a name within a day, the diahrea was gone. Yeah, my husband is in Iraq now and I'm a single mom again, but I would seriously kick the shit out of anyone who tried to hurt Riley or Simmy. If there is such a thing as loving them too much, then I'm just as guilty as you, and I like your company ;D.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Aw sweetie. :'(

I know exactly what you mean. I had that feeling a lot with Crash, too. I would just think about him passing someday, and start to cry. Bawl. I remember one time coming back from Knoxville with Kevin, and for some reason we started talking about how he was getting older, and I just fell to pieces. :'(

When he passed, yes, I came pretty unglued. For quite a while. :-\

My tribute to Crash now, and always, will be that I could only last a month without a dog in the house after he was gone, and I was miserable the entire month. Of course, I continued to be miserable after we got Angus, but that's another story altogether.

Baloo is so young. Just enjoy him for all the many years you have ahead of you!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

I fear That Day.

The best that I can do is to promise to give Henery the very best life I possibly can, and to love him so much it hurts, and then, at least I know, he had it good.

Did you not take note of my online name/persona?

Do you love your dog too much if you read these posts and it made you cry?

Not many dogs get the love mine do, and sometimes I feel guilty about that too.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogz2much
    Did you not take note of my online name/persona?
    I actually thought of that when I posted this.

I really love that I've found people who also love their dogs too much.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast