Pitbull at the dog park
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pitbull at the dog park

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultPitbull at the dog park

Came home early and took HK over to the dog park. I was throwing a bumper just to get HK a few good runs in. Well, several other dogs joined in the fun, including one Pitbull. The PB was definitely the fastest and most agressive (in a sporting way, not a viscious way). HK normally timid, decided to play bitey face with him. They were having a great time, taking breaks when I said ready ( a term I use to let HK know I am about to throw something) to go chase down the bumper.

All of a sudden this guy comes over to us and starts blasting away about the pit bull should not be allowed in the dog park, was too agressive and was going to injure one of the other dogs, really yelling loudly about it.

Well! The owner, who I had been talking to, told his four year old daughter that they were going to have to leave early again. She, not the father went over to the dogs, and called 'Buddy, Here, Sit' and put his leash on. The dog then walked with her at heel back to her Dad. I asked if it was time for them to leave, or if they were leaving because of this other guy. He conceeded that he didn't want a confrontation. I asked him to stay a minute.

I went over to the guy that had blasted off and asked if he saw the little girl call the dog out of the pack, leash it, and see it heel beside her as she went back to the Dad. He said yes. I asked if he thought he might apologize to the Dad and little girl. You could see something building inside him about to come out, when he took a breath and said that is probably a good idea. I guess all Pit Bulls are not violent.

I felt pretty good for that little girl and her Dad as HK and I came home today.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Pitbull at the dog park

That was nice of you to stick up for them!

georgie is offline Senior Member

That is a nice story. Sometimes I think Pit Bulls get a bad rap...mostly due to bad owners. This guy & his little girl sound like they are great dog owners. Glad you stuck up for them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

It's sad the poor girl has to learn how mean people are so young.

Props to that man and his daughter for having what sounds like a very very well training PB. Props to them for not making the situation worse and taking the high road (which unfortunately ment leaving early). Props to you for sticking up for them.

There is a PB in flyball in our area. A very small 7 year old runs this dog. It's VERY impressive to see and a good way to prove that these dogs can be as great as any other breed (flyball is a highly competitive sport and even timid dogs go wacko and act crazy - so to have a dog that can run full speed yet remain calm enough to be sent and received by a young girl is impressive)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

It's very unfortunate that people have that attitude towards all PBs. I must admit, if I were at the dog park with Riley and a PB was there, I would watch it to see if it was nice, but if there were no problems I'd relax. But then again, I do that with every dog we encounter (I'm just super neurotic). While I'm on the honesty kick here, sounds like the dad and little girl sure have way more control over their mean ol' viscious than I have over my goofy lab ;D ....

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Good for you and HK!

I guess the little girl is going to learn about dicrimination early in life.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

It was very good of you to stick up for the PB and his owners. The Dad sounds like a very decent person.... he had more control in that situation than I probably would have had.

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

lablimo is offline Senior Member

What a nice thing for you to do. Give yourself a pat on the back!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh, now THAT is a wonderful story!

Bless your heart for sticking up for them. WAY TO GO! I don't know if I'd have had the presence of mind to do that, but I'm so glad you did. I'm sure that meant a whole lot to them.

I just wanted to cry for that little girl and her doggie when you talked about how she called him and he came so sweetly. Pit Bulls are definitely not all bad. I'm so sad that they get such a bad rap.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Nicely done! Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast