Thanks Duke, for the day off, but this wasn't the way to do it

Thread: Thanks Duke, for the day off, but this wasn't the way to do it

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

DefaultThanks Duke, for the day off, but this wasn't the way to do it

Duke woke up with diarreah this morning. But that wasn't the worst part. He couldn't make it outside. HE HAS NEVER POOPED IN THE HOUSE...NEVER. The carpet in the family room which happens to be a mixture of brown tones was the "catch-all". It wouldn't have been so bad if he did it in one place, but he's a traveling pooper. So apparently from the entry tile across the carpet ..around the aircleaner..more carpet...then dribble on the kitchen tile. : When DH(who doesn't have a sense of smell) got up this morning, was wondering why Duke was crying in his kennel and didn't want to come out. Poor baby, he was horribly embarrased plus he didn't want to get near the poop. DH finally noticed it....decided to bring me my cup of coffee and say..."honey, Duke got sick during the night".

So up I jump...Duke doesn't want to come out...still crying. I have the sense of smell, but I'm looking for brown poop on brown carpet. OH : I did find it...after stepping in it...wiping up and putting a knee in it (remember I said he travels). Was still cleaning and wiping after a half hour and I still had to go to work. I knew I better take Duke outside again. So out we go....poor boy couldn't run fast enough to the side yard. Flaming liquid squirts. This is not good. Still had to go to work.

Now Duke wants his breakfast. Other than being embarrassed, he's his same old self. I should haveknown better...but here's where I was bad. I give him just a small portion of what I normally feed him in the morning. He was hungry and that's we we normally do in the morning. No problems. But I tell DH to watch him. Be sure he drinks water...but no more food. Off to work I go (but not very happy about it). So I call the Vet's office after they open to explain the situation (liquid squirts and all). Said I would do rice and pumpkin and chicken...but how long should I wait to see if that helps clear things up. She was going to call me back, but Doc was right there. When she told him it was "liquid"...he wanted to see Duke now.

OK, I'm at work. (it's 9:15). Doc can see Duke at 11:15. Needless to say...I finished my work and took the rest of the day off. In to the vet we go. His temperature was fine...He weighed 75.3 pounds. He lost 3 1/2 since last Friday. He was a little dehydrated but not bad. Doc gave him 5 shots. Poor baby, but he sat quietly. Then he told me, he can have water, but NO FOOD for 24 hours. Not until we see him again tomorrow morning.

You know it's one thing to have your baby sick and he doesn't want to eat. But it's a whole new ball game when he's running out the other end, and won't leave you along because he wants to fill the other. :
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Thanks Duke, for the day off, but this wasn't the way to do it

What a day you've had! Wow.

Glad you were able to leave work early.

Speedy recovery for Duke.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

OH NO ! POOR Duke ! I hope he's feeling better real soon !

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ah yes, stepping/kneeling in the brown stuff. Been there, done that - ugh. The ultimate wake-up call. Hope Duke is better quickly.

Bev.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Aw..poor Duke. I hope he feels better soon. It's tough when the want to eat & you can't feed them.

Oh & stepped in poop in the dark, too, definately not fun. :