Swollen with hives of the face
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swollen with hives of the face

DefaultSwollen with hives of the face

Hi all,
    I came home from work today with a note from the petsitter asking what was wrong with Shadows left eye...Thinking he may have just played to hard with the new puppy, I went to see Shadow.... OMG!!!!! Both eyes are swollen and looks like he has hives all over his face. HIs muzzle is swollen and he is itchy. I gave him 75mg of benedryl and see how that works for him... He has other parts of his body with some hives also... I ahve no clue what he could have gotten into this morning besides the normal yard...but any ideas?? I never had a dog have a reaction to anything. Let alone hives....Hoping a couple of doses of benadry will work... if not.. to the ER vet we go. He is other wise acting like normal.... untill the benedryl takes affect then he wil be sleepy. YIPES!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Swollen with hives of the face

someone's dog just recently got hives all over too.

Zoe gets an allergic reaction to beestings. Could Shadow have been stung?

benadryl is good.

If Shadow vomits, cannot control his bowels, starts shaking, please take to vet immediately.

Hope it's nothing serious.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

Bee sting was my thought too.... this time of year the hornets can be rather aggressive. Do you have ground hornets there ?

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It would have had to happen between 0430 and 0530...becasue then he was crated untill the petsitter came....I dont think hornets are up and about that early in the morning. He looked fine when I put him in his crate this morning.. hmmmmmmm geesh.

Champsmom is offline Senior Member

That happened to my dog. He's allergic to bee stings. The benedryl didn't work for him. I had to take him to the vets for a shot. Keep an eye on him. If he keeps breaking out in more hives, i'd take him to the vet.

Same darn thing happened to Cooper last fall! 4 a.m., I woke up to the sound of him wimpering, which he rarely does. Went downstairs, flipped on the light - his whole head was swollen. Never did determine what caused it. Bite of some sort the vet thought....but in November?? Most critters are napping that time of year. Benadryl did the trick though. They gave him a shot and in 30 minutes he was pretty much back to normal.

Bev.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Poor baby. It does sound like a bee sting or maybe a spider bite. I hope the Benadryl works & he feels better. Please keep us posted.

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

I think the worst part besides the swelling...is wanting to know what caused it. Hope Shadow gets better soon.
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Jefferson got stung by a wasp in the house, while I was at work. Somehow one of those critters got into the house. My daughter called me to tell me something was wrong with his eye. Good thing she happened to come home that afternoon. He had to go get a shot he swelled so badly. Evidently at the time of the sting he also lost control of his bladder.
    Look around for a dead bee, wasp, or spider. I found the dead wasp when I was cleaning the chair that Jefferson was on when he got stung.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

That happened to my last lab, Callie. I let her out in the morning, about 6am, got the coffee started and went to go out and play with her. She was way out in the back of the yard and started running to me, and her face was swolen and both eyes closing quickly. I gave Benedryl, but then her neck started swelling so I took her collar off an rushed to the vet. They gave her a shot and within minutes the swelling went down. Vet said it could have been a bee or spider bite. I'm leaning towards spider b/c of the time of day.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast