Do you blame the dog or yourself?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you blame the dog or yourself?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultDo you blame the dog or yourself?

You walk into a room (or the house) and your dog has chewed up one of your possession or ravaged through the garbage. Do you think "you darn dog, you should know better" or "crap, why was i stupid enough to leave that out?".

I always think "crap, why did I leave that out". Seriously. He once bumped my Nikon D70 (my OTHER baby) off teh counter and i still thought "OMG - I can't believe that was left on the counter".

My coworker is the opposite. She says the dog should know better and just not do these things. She blames the dog. she will show the dog the mess and scold it (no hitting the dog). She says the dog knowns a pretty much crawls/slinks to her.

what about you?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Do you blame the dog or yourself?

Depends on what it was. If it is on the floor, it is fair game. If it is on the counter or the table, it is their fault. Nothing you can do about it once it happens, but eh, they are dogs.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I'd have to say that your co-worker is an idiot -- sorry!

If your dog chews something up it's your fault. As an owner it is your responsibility to train and confine your dog as and when it's appropriate. Most dogs will not suddenly start chewing on your possesions out of the blue. Either the dog was never reliable with not chewing in the first place or there was an underlying reason for it -- boredom, lack of stimulation, etc.

If a dog gets into the trash it is also completely the owners fault. Dogs live for the moment and do not think about consequences. Dogs are opportunists and if food is easily accessable to them they won't hesitate to take it.

Unlike with a child you cannot verbalise consequences to a dog. Unless you can catch a dog doing unwanted behaviors AT THAT MOMENT, correcting AFTER the bad behavior will have NO effect whatsoever.

She says the dog knowns a pretty much crawls/slinks to her.
    A dog will do this because it fears of being corrected and not because it feels "guilty".

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

If I've left something out that's within my dog's reach, it's MY fault.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

It is always my fault (or more likely, DH's fault ;P ).
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

I usually blame my wife ;D

I too would say if it is out of reach (on the counter, table, computer desk) it's not my fault. They SHOULD know better. If it's on the floor, it's my fault. If there is a big juicy steak ready to eat on the counter, she better not get up there and eat it, if she does, she's gonna get an ass whippin' and put to bed. She knows better.
    (if the cats jump up there, well, that's a different story, cats just do things like that and can't help it ???

If I leave the dog inside for awhile and the cat food is on the floor, well....it's fair game, I KNOW she is going to eat it. It's my fault.

My fault, unless it was off the counter (he knows not to countersurf!). But DH always blames it on the dogs. I am working on getting him to understand and he's coming around.

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

More often than not it is my fault, er, hubby's fault. Half our kitchen is in the dining room right now (she is confined to the kitchen) until she stops chewing things like chairs, throw rugs, etc. If I catch her in the act, I correct her and tell her No or whatever. If it's after the fact, well, too late!

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

I blame my self. I always try to make sure Duke won't be able to get into "trouble" But...temptation is temptation no matter how hard you train. He will still get scolded if caught in the act.

Penny from Sunny Southern California

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast