I have a question - Update - Advice taken - SUCCESS!!

Thread: I have a question - Update - Advice taken - SUCCESS!!

DefaultI have a question - Update - Advice taken - SUCCESS!!

I am doing the CIBC Run for the Cure on Sunday. I guess there are a lot of people at this event. I don't really like crowds so I will stay out of the centre of it.
    I called the organizing committee today to see if they allow dogs to come to the run or if they discourage it. They don't take a position on it at all. Dogs are free to come, they do get some complaints about dogs but some people do take them.
    One of my co-workers was going to take her 6 yo GR but then decided against it. She thinks her dog will freak out with the starting gun and the crowd. She is a bit of a worry wart.
    Should I take Oakley?? I will have her EZ Walk harness on and I know she won't get crazy in the crowd of people. I think she should get used to large groups of people. She has heard fireworks in the neighborhood so I don't think the starting gun would be a problem. Not sure how close we would be to it anyway.
    I guess I just have a hard time going for 5k walk and not taking her.
    Sorry if it seems like a pathetic question but I am just really not sure what I should do.
    ETA, she already has her pink bandana so she will be stylin'

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I have a question

If you think she will enjoy it and behave, I would certainly take her if there are no restrictions. I know that I would, and I don't know how well HK would behave. I do know she and I would enjoy it, and it would be a good test.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

As long as you are willing to leave if she can't handle it, go for it. If people don't want to be around a dog that is well behaved, they can move along

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

I think if there are no restrictions and you are confident that Oakley can handle it, I say go for it and enjoy the walk together. have fun!

We did it! and we did AWESOME!!!!
    She wasn't an angel but I am very pleased with how she handled the crowd and the walk! She was pretty excited with my co-workers when we first got there and when she saw another dog she really wanted to play. But once we got going on the walk she settled down pretty well. She actually did better when we were in the crowd during the walk because then she didn't pull at all, she pulled a little when we had a little space around us. I am glad I had her gentle leader on her, otherwise she is a pulling machine.
    I could hear lots of comments around us about how pretty she is.
    Then after the walk I went to a friends who lives on a lake. Oakley had a great swim too. We got some pics of her jumping off the dock. I will post some pics of the swimming and the run as soon as I can.

The rest of the day, I had one pooped pup!!!

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I have a question - Update - Advice taken - SUCCESS!!

good girl Oakley!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Good Girl Oakley! Nice example to set. We all need to teach our caretakers that we know how to behave in crowds, they just need to give us chance to show them. We only irritate them when we are alone with them, BECAUSE WE CAN GET AWAY WITH IT!

HK
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

Good girl; glad you guys had fun. Pics? We like pics ;D

Good Girl Oakley,

I signed us up again for Race for the Cure it is in 2 weeks (still hot in Phoenix). I even registered her as kid so Cinnamon has her own size 2 -4 shirt coming and race number.

She did really well last year except about half way through we caught up to a lady with 2 kids in the wagon and they decided she should ride with them so she hopped in and gave massive mooches. The kids were upset when I made her get out but I don't think the mom wanted to pull an extra 70 pounds of lab weight.

Quote Originally Posted by azlab
    they decided she should ride with them so she hopped in and gave massive mooches. The kids were upset when I made her get out
    Oh Cinnamon, too bad you couldn't stay in the wagon.

And yes, I will post pics asap!