Rescuing a special needs lab
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rescuing a special needs lab

DefaultRescuing a special needs lab

Hi everyone. Now that we are settled into the new house and have more room and a big, fenced back yard, I have been thinking of rescuing a dog. I was searching on petfinder.com and found this little sweetheart.
    http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=9205861
    Was just curious if anyone has experience with dogs who have lost a leg. I'm sure he will adapt just fine, but is there anything else I should know regarding activity or precautions around Riley? Riley is a big boy, but he is very gentle, and I don't anticipate any problem. I would imagine it's pretty important to keep him pretty lean to avoid excess stress on that one leg/hip. Any other advice/suggestions? I haven't filled out that application yet, but I'm really leaning toward this guy. There is just something in those eyes that melts my heart. Thanks so much everyone!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rescuing a special needs lab

I have no experience with dogs missing a limb. I just wanted to say that I think it's wonderful you're considering adopting that boy. He seems like such a sweetheart. (Stupid previous owner! Blah! >) Good luck!

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

I wonder how on earth he managed to run the poor little guy over, sounds irresponsible in every respect-

that little boy sure does look like a sweetheart i really hope you do get him so that he gets a chance of a good life with a nice family-

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

How wonderful that you are seriously thinking of adopting him. A friend of mine had a tri-pod dog and never had any problems with her. I would assume you are correct in the assumption that you need to keep him lean, however, I don't see him as a real 'special needs' case. I think he would move into your house and heart and within days you won't even notice there is a missing limb. My suggestion??? Go for it. Give that boy a loving home, after all he has been through he deserves a chance for true happiness and love.
    PS Keep us posted.

My brother in Virginia has a lab that lost it's leg as a puppy. He hasn't skipped a beat...I don't think he realizes that he only has 3 legs.

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

I hope that this sweet boy ends up with you. Most people would probably pass on a pet with only 3 legs. But you are willing and happy to bring him into your lives and home. Bless you for that. I really do hope he will be your's. He is beautiful, and looks like such a sweetheart. Poor baby having such a CREEP of an owner to let him suffer like that. > Hope Karma steps in and gives it right back to that loser.

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

I don't have any actual expierence either, but I had read stories from people that have a dog with an amputated leg and they say you would never know they only had 3 legs........ he does have a sad, sweet face...... I do hope you will adopt him..... he does deserve a very loving and caring forever home.

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

Our neighbors around the corner have a tripod dog. The pup doesn't even know he's different from the other dogs in the family (5 in total). He gets around just fine and plays just as rough as the other dogs in the pack. It's as though that fourth leg would have just gotten in his way anyways! I say go for it! You're a great person for considering rescuing a dog that many would pass over. I'll bet he'll be a wonderful companion for your family.

A good friend of mine adopted a former police dog (black lab) used for drug detection. An suspect shot the him and he lost his left front leg.

He recovered and is quite active an agile and loves to play fetch. He will compete with Nick & Nora to get to the ball first and he's pretty adept at it. He doesn't "act" like a special needs dog and he isn't treated like one. He's also a hit in the children's hospital with kids who have suffered serious accidents.

I say go for it and bless you for rescuing.!

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Bless your heart for considering adopting him. I hope you'll get him. We've had some members here to had three legged dogs. The dogs adjusted just fine and had great lives.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast