Growth/Field/Bench

Thread: Growth/Field/Bench

DefaultGrowth/Field/Bench

We just came in from the vets..had Dakota's nails clipped, they do it for free! I also get him weighed every month near his birth day (the 30th). He weighs 65.4 lbs..and is 10 months on the 30th of September.
    A man was in there..and commented on his size, he thought he was older..and I said no..10 months in few days. He said "he's going to be a big dog".
    Now..I'm wondering if Field labs grow for as long as Bench labs, ie: weight. I think he's almost reached his full height, give or take an inch, but weight wise, do field grow and fill out for as long as bench labs???
    Anyone have an idea where Dakota may end up in his final weight, considering his age now and his current weight. Thanks..
    Jackie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Growth/Field/Bench

He could feasibly put on another 10 pounds as he ages, but he won't get much taller I bet.

That's where my original thoughts were..around 70-75 lbs. His mother was 65 and his father 70..so we'll see. It doesn't matter, actually, he is so strong now..I cringe to think how much more strength he'll have behind a weight of 75 lbs. Oyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
    Thanks for replying Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    He could feasibly put on another 10 pounds as he ages, but he won't get much taller I bet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Based on his parents' weight, he probably will be around 70 lbs. I would not call it a big dog or a small dog; that's smack in the medium-sized dog in my opinion. He of course can put on a lot of muscle if you run him in performance events or hunt and would gain some weight because of the muscle mass.

Nellie was 88 pounds when I got her at 8-10 months. She continued to grow and fill out until she was about 2. She went up to 102 pounds but is now about 92-95 pounds. (She is a mix of field and bench.)

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

At eight months Remington was 78 lbs. I can only hope he stops growing soon

Wow..he IS going to be a big boy...he is bench, right? I've noticed so many really large bench labs..why is that? I thought they were supposed to be in the 80lb range? Are breeders breeding them larger? I just talked to someone else who mentioned a lab over 100 lbs.
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    At eight months Remington was 78 lbs. I can only hope he stops growing soon

I just wrote another post..about the sizes of bench labs..your girl is a big one too. I guess Dakota will grow a bit more even tho he is field bred.
    Jackie

[quote=nellies mom ]
    Nellie was 88 pounds when I got her at 8-10 months. She continued to grow and fill out until she was about 2. She went up to 102 pounds but is now about 92-95 pounds. (She is a mix of field and bench.)
    [/quotuee]

As for eventual weight..doesn't his heritage play a part in size and weight..I mean, not only his parents but his grandparents??? I'm just curious..I have no idea how big his grandparents were..just wondering!
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by Tatyana
    Based on his parents' weight, he probably will be around 70 lbs. I would not call it a big dog or a small dog; that's smack in the medium-sized dog in my opinion. He of course can put on a lot of muscle if you run him in performance events or hunt and would gain some weight because of the muscle mass.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I've noticed so many really large bench labs..why is that? I thought they were supposed to be in the 80lb range? Are breeders breeding them larger? I just talked to someone else who mentioned a lab over 100 lbs.
    I believe that the breed standard for weight is not a rule but a guideline, but don't quote me on that. Granted, I don't know much about bench bred Labs but a properly bred Lab will never be over 100lbs. I think breeding Labs that size is ludicrous. It's only a matter of time before back yard breeders stick a 'Great' in front of 'Labrador Retriever'. 'Great' as in Great Dane, that is. Because that appears to be where many examples of the breed are heading...