Prozac for dogs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prozac for dogs?

DefaultProzac for dogs?

I am wondering if anyone has had experience with using Prozac for their dog, or know of anyone who has? I have been reading online how it can be prescribed for dogs, and I'm thinking of bringing it up at Dozer's next vet appointment...

We've had Dozer for almost 7 months now, he came from a severe neglect situation in WI. We've worked with him extensively to try and get him over his fears, and while we've made a lot of progress at home, he is still absolutely petrified when it comes to seeing strangers and being in new situations. It completely breaks my heart. :'(

I love this dog to death, he is such a sweetheart and I know how hard he tries...but I feel like we may need to do something to get him over this hump. Any thoughts?? Pros and cons are definitely welcome...I just want what's best for him.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Prozac for dogs?

I would try something like Clomicalm and work your reconditioning routine while on it for a few months before going to something like Prozac.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I think I would continue without medicating him. I think talking with your vet is a great idea as well. Perhaps the vet has some thoughts on things you can do and maybe avoid the Prozac route.

I don't have any experience with this type of thing but there are alot of members here who can offer some great advice. Good luck and please let us know how he is doing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bearsdad
    I would try something like Clomicalm and work your reconditioning routine while on it for a few months before going to something like Prozac.
    What is Climicalm and where do you get it?

Clomicalm is a prescription med you get from your vet, it is used to treat obsessive behaviours. Used in conjunction with a behaviour modification regimen it can provide results. It is typically used short term, 3 to 4 months, until the desired behaviour has been acheived. I used it with my boy Deacon to help with his obsessive licking of his arm, and it worked quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by bearsdad
    Clomicalm is a prescription med you get from your vet, it is used to treat obsessive behaviours. Used in conjunction with a behaviour modification regimen it can provide results. It is typically used short term, 3 to 4 months, until the desired behaviour has been acheived. I used it with my boy Deacon to help with his obsessive licking of his arm, and it worked quite well.
    Wow! Thank you for the info! I will definately bring it up next time I bring him to the vet.

I used it with my boy Deacon to help with his obsessive licking of his arm, and it worked quite well.
    Ditto to that. We used it for Cissy for the same reasons and it worked for her. She's with the ex now and I just saw her...she's licking again. <sigh>

Also talk to the vet about a good behaviorist. They can help you with techniques to get him over the fear part of meeting strangers. It will take time...lots and lots of time, though. Just try to be patient with him.

[quote=zoezoe ]
    It will take time...lots and lots of time, though. Just try to be patient with him.
    We have all the time and patience in the world for him...it's just really sad to see him in comparison to our other lab who LOVES everyone and LOVES to explore and try new things. The good news is that Dozie has come a long way with us...wagging his tail when he sees us, coming when we call him, and just overall being happy to be around us. It's new people that he has trouble with. Like I mentioned before, we really just want the best for him, and we want him to be happy and have a good life, and we don't want his fears to get in the way of that. At this point, I just feel the hurdle he has to overcome is too big to do without help. :-\

Another thought for you...
    There is a member here Momma to J and A (Jenn) , she rescued a girl Tatum, who had some insecurities and has done great work with her bringing out of her shell, you might PM or email her...

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Many meds used for people are also safely used with dogs to help them with similar symptoms.

Prozac is an effective anti-depressive medication.

Clomicalm according to you is a medication used to treat obsessive-compulsive disorders.

Why in the world would you recommend Clomicalm for this dog with these symptoms?

Because it worked for your dog with DIFFERENT symptoms so it must be magic cure-all?

Please.

Let the experts decide on the best pyschotropic meds to try.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast