Rowdy had a big evening (Lots of Pictures)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rowdy had a big evening (Lots of Pictures)

imported_delmonico is offline Senior Member

DefaultRowdy had a big evening (Lots of Pictures)

Well when Dove season opened on the first, it was hot here, so we didn't get out, I'll wait a few days till it cools a little.  Well with the problems with Lemol wanting to come early, being busy at work, pick-up problems, Lemol getting here, his Mom having to go back to the hospital with pneumonia and such, we didn't get out yet and Dove has always been my warm up with my dogs before pheasant season opens, their real job.

Had the evening off so we went, didn't think the hunting would be good, our locals have move out and the ones from up north haven't moved in, but so, field time with a dog is enough.  Well on the way out I could see it wasn't going to be good, but we went out close to home, got a place 10 miles from home, almost a 1000 acres of state land, enough to let a Lab have fun.

He was a little wild, at first, but called back fine when he got out to far, even though the season is a month away, wanted him to see if he could find a pheasant or two, but with most the crops still in, I knew that wouldn't be good either.  But he was a happy dog.

Along they way to a spot to sit and wait, he found a good scent, worked it like a pro and just about had it one his own, but it flushed, a rooster and if it would have been season he would have had his first pheasant, because it would have been a give me on my end,,,,,,,,,, I think.

Here he is working some cover to see if he can find another one.

After working a while, we found time for a quick swim.

We sat on a small hill for an hour or so, he got a little restless, but did pretty good, Dove is the only thing we sit for anyway.  The view was kind of nice, notice the light object with the arrow pointing to it.

As I said, we're only 10 miles from home and 11 1/2 from the state capital.

Not seeing any doves got boring so we wandered some more and Rowdy worked some more scent, but didn't find another one.  We did see some neat things like this Sumac.

I had the shells out of the shotgun so I could set it down safely, I took this picture and turned around and the only two we saw all evening were just coming into range and leaving just as quick, me with an empty gun 30 feet away, leaning against a Plum bush. ;D

My 30 year old well worn vetran. A 28 gauge Remmington 870 Wingmaster LW, for those of you into shotguns.

About then, Rowdy decided to head off into the sunset.

With legal shooting time over, we just headed back to the pick-up, Rowdy still looking for another pheasant. ;D

By then I needed the flash.

We stole a couple of Rita's empty Propel bottles for water.  Rowdy learning to drink out of a bottle.

Dad, I spilled some. :

He's crashed out on the couch right now.  Lexie came by as I was working with the pictures and said that Rowdy was drinking Grandma's water and laughed.

All in all, a evening with a Lab in the field, even with no birds to show is an evening well spent, I've missed it a lot since I lost Midnite in 2002.

I know I'm not the best field trainer in the world, but the other two worked well with my laid back style and were a joy to work with, I can feel this 16 month old bundle of enery is only going to be better.

Mongrel Historian aka Glen Carman<br />Lincoln Newbrassky<br /><br />Member of POOP: People Offended by Offended People<br /><br /><br /><br />Lexie, are you telling me you want me to get on the couch?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nick_charles is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rowdy had a big evening (Lots of Pictures)

Atta boy, Rowdy!

Glen,

Those are great pictures! I had to chuckle with the empty shotgun situation. I would love to see how Nick & Nora would react to all those great scents.

[size=10pt]Semper Famelicus[/size]<br /><br />Nick &amp; Nora (Terry&#39;s kids)&nbsp; Nora&#39;s Dreams

imported_azlab is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you both had a good time. I swear part of the joy of hunting is the peace and quite along with a great view of nature's beauty.
    Karon<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

Good job Rowdy and Glen!
    Sounds like a typical hunting day to me. I haven't hunted with my two yet but I might. Oh by the way doesn't everyone own a Remington 870? I live about 20 miles from Remington arms in Ilion,NY. Hang on to the older 870's as the newer ones aren't as sweet.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

lablover is offline Senior Member

Looks you both had a great time ... enjoying the outdoors.

WeHeartLabs is offline Senior Member

Great pics....Rodwy looks like he had a blast! What an amazing place.
    <br /><br />

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

Looks like you had an awesome time. The pictures are great. Hunting or fishing...it's great to be outdoors and enjoy the freedom of being away from the hussle and bussle of our daily lives.
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

georgie is offline Senior Member

Great pictures. Looks like Rowdy had a good time. You are right...just being out with the labs is nice. Looks like Rowdy will be ready for the pheasants.

imported_delmonico is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labs4life
    Good job Rowdy and Glen!
    Sounds like a typical hunting day to me. I haven't hunted with my two yet but I might. Oh by the way doesn't everyone own a Remington 870? I live about 20 miles from Remington arms in Ilion,NY. Hang on to the older 870's as the newer ones aren't as sweet.
    I know, this one ain't going anywhere, I have grandkids. Funny thing is I still don't like a pump. 30 years later I still haven't found that double I really want and can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by WeHeartLabs
    Great pics....Rodwy looks like he had a blast! What an amazing place.
    I have about 15 of smaller and larger size with in 20 miles of home, most build around flood control stuctures built in the 60's, tens of thousands of acres. They are about half as far as the private lands I hunt.
    Mongrel Historian aka Glen Carman<br />Lincoln Newbrassky<br /><br />Member of POOP: People Offended by Offended People<br /><br /><br /><br />Lexie, are you telling me you want me to get on the couch?

budbud is offline Senior Member

Rowdy looks so happy to out with his Dad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast