O.K- I'm probably being a worry wart!-
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O.K- I'm probably being a worry wart!-

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultO.K- I'm probably being a worry wart!-

But tonight while sitting here on the couch and checking out whats going on in JL, Sammi is laying with her head in my lap. Yes I am one of those bad lab owners that lets her pup on the couch! Anyway I have my hand on her chest and notice that her heart beat is irregular!! Maybe its the RN in me, but it has me a little worried. She has had absolutely no problems, is very active, no respritory problems ,eating and drinking normaly and was just seen at the vets to get her rabies vaccine and the vet said everything looked great. Except she needs to lose about 5lbs. but that's another issue. Maybe this is normal and i just never noticed it before, but I'm wondering if this is something I should have checked out!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: O.K- I'm probably being a worry wart!-

And I thought I was a worry wart about Duke. Did the vet listen to her chest when you had her in? I know when I took Duke in for his ear, the Vet listened to his heart..and lungs.
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

Di

Yep and nothing was wrong at that time which was about 2 weeks ago! Usually I'm not this bad, but when it comes to an irregular heart rate, it sort of makes me think twice. guess I'll bring my stethiscope home tomorrow and see if what I'm feel is what I hear ! Man I'm glad I wasn't a nurse when my kids were little, and to think I've been nursing for 15 yrs., you would think I would be pass the worry stage!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

Hats off to you. I think a good nurse never passes the worry stage. It makes you very thorough.
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

obsidian Guest

It's not abnormal for a healthy dog to have an irregular heart beat. Even healthy human hearts have the occasional premature contraction or two. It's really nothing to freak out over.

patm is offline Senior Member

I am a nurse too, and I discovered this a long time ago, and had my proper "freakout" about it also. The first time was when there WAS something seriously wrong with my dog and I was tracking her pulse before I got her to the vet - fairly irregular - I thought she was dying, and she almost did. (vet thought it was antifreeze poisoning, although I'm not sure - but that's another story). I have since discovered that Skippy and Emilu also have irregular heartbeats. All the time. I think that dogs just do. I never asked the vet about it because they are extremely healthy and get regular check-ups and nothing has ever been mentioned. So eveyone check their dogs pulse (just put your hand over the side of their chest near their "armpit") and see if it is regular or irregular - I am curious what people will find.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

patm, Would, '(just put your hand over the side of their chest near their "armpit") and see if it is regular or irregular - I am curious what people will find.' this be when wrestling with the dog, during a sit/stay waiting for her treat, while standing at the door waiting to get into the car on the way to the dog park, etc.?

I would love to do this, but about the only time my almost 9 month old will lay still, other than in a class, is when I am at least 5 feet away from her. She has this syndrome called, Dad Equals Activity!

But I am now curious, so when our Dr Daughter shows up this weekend, I am going to ask her to do it.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

eklind51 is offline Senior Member

i noticed ginger had an irregular heartbeat after she was bit by fire ants and i had given her a benadryl. i thought she was having a reaction and took her to the vet right away. the vet told me that they are common and it wasn't a problem right now.

Di

Thanks everyone, I have since done some reading and yep it is quite normal for a healthy pup to have an irregular heart rate! I appreciate you all easing my mind!

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I didn't know that about the irregular heartbeat but its good to know. I have never actually checked Tal's, but everytime he has been to the vet they do. He goes tomorrow for his year boosters.

Quote Originally Posted by dipete
    But tonight while sitting here on the couch and checking out whats going on in JL, Sammi is laying with her head in my lap. Yes I am one of those bad lab owners that lets her pup on the couch!
    Well, I guess I am a bad lab owner...I do that too and the bed as well... :-[

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast