first ear cleaning = butt tuck free for all

Thread: first ear cleaning = butt tuck free for all

Defaultfirst ear cleaning = butt tuck free for all

ok. how the heck do you clean their ears?? i got a solution from the vet today, and just to introduce it to him, i put it on a cotten ball and was going to wipe it, rather than the full out-- putting drops in the ears.

he went BONKERS, and started butt tucking around the house. He has no interest in getting his ears cleaned, i even pinned him down, but he wriggled harder than ever to get out so i let him up.

the whole thing was rather hilarious.

tips on doing this please!?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: first ear cleaning = butt tuck free for all

Quote Originally Posted by DFWLab
    ... i even pinned him down, but he wriggled harder than ever to get out so i let him up...
    tips on doing this please!?
    I am sure there are others with more experience, but I think the part I quoted was a mistake. When it comes to taking care of Hershey Kisses, I WIN these battles. Even if I kill myself in the process. Hershey tried the same antics when i started the first time. When I realized what I had, I wrestled her down and used my fll body strength to get her still. Then managed to get myself in a postion of leverage and control to hold her still while I worked with one hand.

This went on for about 4 times. She now knows that I will win and doesn't fight. She has to be held, because she will try to get away if the opportunity opens for her.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I agree with Endofile..gotta "win" the battle.

I don't have any experience cleaning ears (haven't had to yet) but I know Tal would not allow me to put his Frontline on. Now, he still doesn't like it but he doesn't fuss either.

Others with more ear drop experience will be of more help. But you can't allow them to win the battle. Else you'll have difficulty conrtolling them as time goes on.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

How about instead of "winning" a battle (your pup is young right?) that you condition him to allow you to do things. Start slowly getting him use to holding his head. Now look into his ears. Praise for standing/sitting/laying still. Look at teeth. Lift each paw. Run your hands gently over his whole body so he gets used to you doing it while he is calm (it may take a while). Now lift his ears, hold his head giving a command like "steady" or Exam, etc. Don't make it a fight in the beginning if you don't have to. Its much nicer to have a dog that will sit beside you and accept it without running away, instead of you getting scratched accidentally, or ending up drenched in sweat, hair (and possibly the stench of expressed anal glands) by stressing him out by "winning" the battle.

I've won other battles, I always win, but if I can avoid the fight and condition it before hand, I'd prefer that.

My dog's don't like the ear cleaner bottle, and they need to have a slip lead put around their neck, but they stand patiently until I'm done.

I would do the "husbandry" behaviors every day...they really help you and your vet later on!

For the execution of ear cleaning: make sure he's on a leash so he can't run away butt tucking, squirt solution on a gauze pad, and squirt some in the ear. Squish it all around the ear, let him shake it out, and then swipe what you can see with the gauze pad. Don't go in deep and DO NOT use Q-Tips.

Good luck!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Ear cleanings always result in a full-out butt tuck with Angus. They induce the back-wriggle-on-the-floor with Simon.

I actually hold the tip of Simon's ear and sort of pin it against his head. This seems to convince him that he shouldn't move. It also works with Angus, just not quite as well.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

I finally won the battle with a "cookie". That's what I call the small biscuit he gets. He'll do anything for a cookie. If he let me wipe out his ear...he got a cookie. Right now we're going through an ear infection and I''ve had to put medicine in each day. He'll now come out of his kennel begrudgingly over to me and will now lay on his side for me to put the medicine in. Of course, when done...it's cookie time. What I'm saying is you have to make the ear experience enjoyable...not a battle.
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Sammi always knows, no matter how hard i try to hide it, that the "bottle" = ear cleaning! She doesnt like it, but since she was little I have gotten her used to "messing" with her ears, feet, mouth etc. - she now actually loves when I clean the inside of her ear, not putting in the solution, but the massaging of the ear part! She doesnt like getting her nails cut, but likes it when I rub her legs and feet! This has also helped hugely with vet vists! Since she doesnt have to go often- thank goodness- its nice that she cooperates and is good at the vets. Good luck with the ears!

I put Jonah in the tub and sit on the edge blocking his exit! I know he's a lot smaller and easier to manipulate right now, but he was still fighting me and running away the first few times until I tried it in the tub. After 2 times in the tub, he now lets me do it (not happily, but at least he stands still for the most part knowing he can't get away anyway!). In between ears he gets treats, and after we are done he gets more.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

In response to EMAs post which is absolutely correct. I guess I just assume that the efforts she recommended where already in place. I do the same with Hershey Kisses. Part of the Stand exercise, and Settle exercise. She was just so resistant to any wet getting to her ears. Swap or otherwise. She loves when I rub them. She will moan/purr (pleasure sound) when I massage the inside with my finger. SHe loves the water, she will literally stick her whole head under to pick something up off the bottom. But that bottle of solution is like a fire alarm, ever the first time when all I was trying to do was wipe out as best I could with a cotton ball moistened with the solution, no squirting liquid into the ear. OUTA HERE NOW! So, we had a battle that had to be fought.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Good luck with this! Molly is never really a problem, she knows its going to happen and lets us squirt it in her ear. She doesn't like it but she tolerates it. Jake on the other hand is a nightmare! I've found a strong sedative like a shot of whiskey helps, not for Jake for ME!