Just Labradors banner

Buddy Is Wasting Away

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  WeHeartLabs 
#1 ·
The vet has been watching Buddy for over a year now because his creatinine levels are a little on the high side. About a year ago, she had me switch him to a senior dog food. It has taken me awhile to find one that he would do well on. In March when he was at the vet, he weighed 95 lbs. I was shocked. I didn't realize he had put on soooooo much weight. I started him on a diet. I cut out all extras except for a few training treats a day. I measure his food out to exactly 3 cups a day rather than eyeballing it. A couple months ago, DD and a couple other people started saying that Buddy was looking thin. At that point he was down to 88 pounds. Yesterday I had him at the vet for a checkup. He was down to 82.7 lbs :eek:. The vet techs said he is looking great. I think I'll increase his food just a little. I don't want him loosing any more weight.

#2 ·
Oh goodness! That's a lot of weight to lose. I'm glad that this was an update saying that he's maybe a little underweight, but willing to eat more instead of something else. ??? (I worry a lot.) Have you weighed him on your home scale? Sometimes the scale at our vet doesn't get reset after a little pup so it can be a bit off--5 lbs would make quite a difference here.
Keep up the hungry eyes, Buddy! Glad you're lab hungry, and healthy!!!!!

#6 ·
Monnie thats great. Last time I saw Buddy he was heavy. Glad you've been able to get some weight off of him.

Mine eat less than 2 cups per day per dog.

After his birthday, Remington will be put on a bit of a diet. He's a chunky moose, but since he's still growing I don't want to cut his food. He's getting about 2 cups a day as well, but I'm feeding Evo, and that's packed with protein and no filler.

#8 ·
Buddy...you get some more treats now. Monnie, I just wanted to tell you, when all those food recalls started I quit giving the girls treats. They only got their food & Cherios for treats. At Molly's last vet visit she had lost 7 pounds. The vet said she looks good but I was amazed that she lost that much since I cut out the treats.

#9 ·
Thanks, everyone. I feel sure there's nothing wrong with Buddy. His creatinine has been stable, although right at the high end of normal, for about 18 months now. I think me cutting back on his food at the same time I cut to a senior food which is lower in calorie already, just made him loose weight a little too fast. I would like to keep him at no more than 85 lbs. When he had his elbow surgery for ED, he weighted 85 lbs. His orthopedic surgeon said to keep his weight within 5 lbs either way of 85 lbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.