2yr old Lab eating cat food..
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2yr old Lab eating cat food..

Dion is offline Junior Member

Default2yr old Lab eating cat food..

Hello everyone,
    Just a quick question for you.. My Black 2 and a half year old Lab started eating the Cats food over the past 3 days.. We moved to a new house about a month ago and he has been settling in fine but the past 3 days he started eating the the cats food and I can not figure out why? Nothing has changed since the move and he was fine up until Sunday. Does anyone have any odeas as to why or how I can get him to stop.. I have caught him and tryed to scare him with a loud Voice and a stomp of my foot. He knows he is doing wrong but when I am not around or goto bed and get up the cats food is empty.. I have been feeding him 5 cups of Iams LB Dog food everyday. 2.5 cups in the morning and 2.5 cups at suppertime with a few treats during the day and before i goto bed.. Is this enough food for him? Please give me some Ideas as to how I can stop this...

Thanks for your Help !!!

Danny

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 2yr old Lab eating cat food..

Well, I can tell you it's pretty common here for many of us here who own cats and dogs. Perhaps there's a room that you can gate off, or install at cat door in a bathroom, basement, etc. Not sure how old the cat is, but maybe you could put the food up to a higher place - washer/dryer?

As far as how much food your dog is being fed - it's more than enough. Is he quite active? Overweight?
    Brenda from Connecticut

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Wow, that's alot of food you're feeding him!! My boys get about 2-1/2 cups total per day. Does he get an excessive amount of exercise a day?

My Frankie will eat the cat food if given the chance. When he does get it, he wolfs it down like he's never eaten before. :-\

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hifive is offline Senior Member

Maggie eats cat food every chance she gets and when she does watch out for the cat fart bombs to blast off. Man they are bad.

I make sure she can't get to the cat food.
    <br />To err is human: to forgive, canine

imported_abbigailsmom is offline Senior Member

Abbie likes to inhale catfood too, we just keep it on the counter, and it also allows the kitties to eat in peace.
    &lt;a href=&quot;http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/abbigailsmom/?action=view&amp;current=ABBIE23mos.jpg&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot;&gt;&lt;img src=&quot;http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/abbigailsmom/ABBIE23mos.jpg&quot; border=&quot;0&quot; alt=&quot;Photobucket&quot;&gt;&lt;/a&gt;<br />10/06/05

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I agree with the others - 5 cups is a lot for the average dog unless he's very active.

Has your Lab never touched the cat food before? if not, I'll guess that he self regulates his food intake. Cat food is attractive even to dogs that self regulate. Cat foods are high in protein and if the food is low quality it will contain colourants and flavor enhancers to make it more appealing to a cat.

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

Don't know. We keep the cat food away from Sam.

Sam loves cat food, but she tends to throw it up. We keep it away from her, which is a lot eaiser now that we aren't free feeding the cats.

patm is offline Senior Member

He is eating cat food because it tastes great and is apparently where he can reach it. Why is he starting now? Who knows - I can testify that a lab can "not do something" for years, and then start doing it.Maybe he is just seeing if the old rules apply in the new house. It will be easier to put the catfood where the dog can't get at it than try to keep him from it.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Wow! 5 cups a day?

Puff gets 1.125 to 1.25 cups 2X/day (362 kcals/cup) for a total of 815 to 905 kcals/day -- and she gets lots of daily exercise, off leash running, fetching, occasional swimming.

Although Puff is a self-regulator in eating her food, she acts like a glutton when it comes to swiping cat food. Cat food usually has a lot more protein in it than dog food does.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Tal eats 3 cups a day and is very active. 5.5 cups is alot for an adult. Definitely would cut ack on that.

Tal ate the catfood but I put it on my kitchen counter byt the sink. That part is a small area. So that solved the problem. He also liked the kitty litter. I didn't have a higher place to put it so I got one of those litter boxes with the swinging door on it.

Funny thing is Midnight would eat Tal's food if I would allow it. But I just pick Midnight up and put her on the counter and she eats. Tal usually has it gone though before Midnight can get to any of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast