ANOTHER ONE NOT RIGHT IN THE HEAD
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ANOTHER ONE NOT RIGHT IN THE HEAD

Jade63 is offline Senior Member

DefaultANOTHER ONE NOT RIGHT IN THE HEAD

I am now at my wits end with Mercedes, she was 3 in Sept and is still extremely hyper with visitors and anyone who comes within 2 feet of us when on a walk. I cannot even begin to explain how crazy she acts when someone comes over..she jumps all over then anddoes this crazy dancing at their feet, they cannot sit down because sheis all over them. I have done it all, shake can, spray bottle,....and just try to put her in a sit,,,,she bounces up like a jack in the box after a second,even after me making her sit and stay over and over for 15 min she willnot stay in a sit...alone with me she will do it....when anyone come s over I am invisable to her, does not listen to a thing I say. I do not have people over every day, but have enough people come over that by now she shoould be used to it. She ends up in the crate and I hate that. She spends all the hours my granddaughters are over i n the crate because she is awful with them.She also does not like other dogs.
    She is great alone with me and it really angers me when some have sid I should put her down because of the extreme hyperness. When out by the fence in the yard and if someone comes out of the house next door she goes crazy at the fence, if they try to pet her over the fence she scratches the hell out of them!!!!I too am beginning to think sheis not right in the head..I do not know what to do anymore :'( the only good thing I have heard is from one of my friends whose daughter had a Lab sort of like her,,was that when she turned almost 4 one day she just quit doing the hyper crazys. like she got struck by a lightening bolt and it jolted her into behaving!! Iam no that lucky, but all I know is that I getting really disgusted with this behavior.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: ANOTHER ONE NOT RIGHT IN THE HEAD

how much exercise does she get?

fburke is offline Senior Member

This is kind of like how willo is. She isnít being aggressive just overly friendly however I learned real fast that not everyone wants an 80 lb labbie getting them right in the groin. How came this si where the paws always seem to land?

However what I have figured out is after the fist 10 or 15 min she usually calms down a bit. Once everyone has seen her and acknowledged her she will go about her doggie business.

I only let her around people that I know donít mind her and I have resorted to a leash in the house until she has done her sniffing and got her head patted. Especially around my 100 lb mother who I think Willow would break her If I didnít put her on a leash (Willow not mom on the leash)

I have noticed that she is STARTING to calm a little little bitÖ at 1 1/2 good luck !

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I saw this on Ceasar once, where this girls dog would jump on her mom all of the time when she visited, he had her to tie her in the room and every time the dog would get excited etc, everyone would get up and leave the room, once the dog quieted down they would reenter the room, they done this over and over until, it connected with the dog,

Oh and Abbie is like a jack-in-the-box when we first go out to play fetch, she tries to jump up and snatch whatever it is she wants, so I fold my arms and turn my back on her, once she seats herself then we play.

Tonya

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

Sounds like Sam, but with Sam we put the haltie on her when we know guests are coming she gets really quiet when we put it on her, but she doesn't jump up. After the initial meeting or after 10 or so minutes I can take it off and she behaves very civilized.

My parents reacted by shutting her out (usually because I was not around) which I think really didn't help her learn to behave around new people. If your dog is lured by food like mine is, I would use food in conjunction with the haltie to control overexuberant behaviour. Sam stays glued to me when she knows I have kibble. I would reward her for calm behaviour and she got to stay in a room with humans.

Sam also gets 1 off leash walk a day. We are lucky there is an off leash park nearby with a stream running through it. She chases squirrels to her hearts content for 1 hour. (She's a terrible hunter).

Felix Guest

If i read you're story, the only thing i can come up with, is start exercising her, she just have an overload of energy that must go in one or an other direction, and in this case it is jumping and humping up against people

But first thing first .. Instruct people who enters you're house or yard to ignore her completely and after she settles down, she can have a meet and greet :P

And for the rest ... EXERCISE !! 8)

That last thing is the big issue for the most of the hyper type's between the Labradors

Ohw, and the last thing i've have to add, is she isnt agressive at this moment, she just want some thing to do (exercise) .. But if YOU dont direct this overload of energy from her in a proper way, you could may endup with a frustrated dog, who show's you a real agressive dog :-\

Merlot_1 Guest

Remember, a tired lab is a good lab. Play fetch with her til she drops. Give her long walks, etc. She will be too wore out to jump on company. My dog, Merlot is also one of those hyper, high maintanence dogs. I have to walk him two hours a day and play fetch with him for another hour. He is very well behaved when his energy is used up

patm is offline Senior Member

Has she any obedience training in a class with other dogs and a decent instructor? I think that it would proabably help tremendously. It would give her a structured setting to get used to other people and dogs, and you and her would have something to do to bond and work on in a positive light.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

What have you done to train her to behave better when greeting someone? Have you two taken an obedience class? What kind of exercise does she get every day?

You have been given great advice. I take offense to using the term "not right in the head". This is quite normal behavior that simply needs to be corrected - has NOTHING to do with being "not right in the head".
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast