If you have stairs in your home, does your dog race you?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you have stairs in your home, does your dog race you?

Merlot_1 Guest

DefaultIf you have stairs in your home, does your dog race you?

Going up the stairs to the bedroom or bathroom they follow behind me. But going down them, YIKES, hang on! Mine will almost knock me over racing down the stairs to be first before me. Do yours do that, or do I just have wierd dogs ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: If you have stairs in your home, does your dog race you?

Jazzy follows me up the stairs. Goes down before me, but stops constantly to look over her shoulder to see if I'm still there. I know one day we are both going to land at the bottom in a pile up!

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Up and down here!! They race down and stand and look at me like "come on Mom hurry!!" LOL I am just going to the laundry. They race up and stand at the top of the stairs waiting for me.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

It took alittle while, but I started working with Sammi day one on waiting or staying until the o.k to go down the stairs! Just didnt need to get knocked down the stairs ! Now she usually just waits at the top of one of the landings -we have a split entry so have the front door landing and the living room landing- if I'm coming home or waits for the o.k to go to the door if we are leaving!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Must be an age thing. Hershey Kisses is trained to let anyone on the stairs get to the top or bottom and then follow. MIL is 88 and still mobile, but slow on the steps. The last thing we need is for her to get knocked down. So we trained HK from day one (after she learned how to handle the stairs) so that when MIL visits, she is safe.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Apollo races us up the steps, but waits until we at the bottom before he will come down.

Reason?

No clue.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I have a basement with the utility room there so when I moved in here I made Tal stay until I took the laundry basket down. Then I came back up and got him and would not allow him to run up or down the stairs. Now, I leave the door to the basement open and sometimes he and Midnight will join me, other times they wait in the doorway. When we come back up the stairs, Tal usually goes ahead, I am next and Midnight just takes his time..lol

hehe, Toshi isn't quite tall enough for stairs yet, so I don't let her anywhere near them in case she would try and fall down them. I will introduce her to them in time though, and I'm sure stair racing will eventually happen too!

fburke is offline Senior Member

Up the stairs Willow follows. But going down that is if SHE wants to go down it’s a race to the bottom.

I have actually taught my 3 year old to ALWAYSE let the doggie go first. That’s all I need is him bouncing down the stairs! So far so good no one has been bowled over .

Mia&Buddy is offline Senior Member

I taught Buddy to follow behind me. We took it one stair at a time until he understood the rule. I put my hand down at my side with the palm of my hand facing his face. He knows that this means stop and he waits until I take another step to move. He stays about 2 steps behind me. I couldn't have him running down the stairs - we don't have a landing in the middle so if you take a tumble, you're going all the way down. I think it is one of the best things that I have taught him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast