getting another dog

Thread: getting another dog

Defaultgetting another dog

I am thinking about getting another dog. I have a 2 year old chocolate lab that is still pretty hyper. She is the tall, lanky field lab. She is a great dog, we give her lots of exercise, and spend lots of time with her. She was extremely easy to train and we can take her anyplace with us and she stays right by our side. She really has a 1 track mind, well 2...the ball and swimming. She is around lots of other dogs at the dog park, daycare, and friends. She really does not show much interest in other dogs. She is pretty submissive to other dogs, unless she is playing with her ball and retrieving.

I will probably get slammed for this, but I am thinking about getting a German Shorthaired Pointer. Does anybody have any experience with them. I am not going to hunt, it is just for a family dog. At what age is it good to get another dog and what works better two females or a male and female? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: getting another dog

I have a GSP who's a year old. I knew nothing about them before getting her (given away by a co-worker). She if full of ENERGY - always ready to leap into action in a heartbeat. She's pretty much bullied poor Grady into wimpdom. But she is very loving and always tries to be the center of attention. If you have the energy to keep up with one, then enjoy.

Merlot_1 Guest

Well, if your two year old chocolate is as active and strong as my two year old chocolate you need a dog that can keep up with her when the wrestle, play tug a war, and bitey face. I recommend a male for you, at least a year old. I have a male and female and there are no problems...they are best buds and inseperable.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the input. I had talked to a few people and they also recommended a male.

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

Definitely get a male. I had two girls once, and they tended to be scrappy with each other. Now I have one of each, and they get along fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    She really has a 1 track mind, well 2...the ball and swimming. She really does not show much interest in other dogs.
    I must have your dog's brother. He is EXACTLY the same! We're thinking of a second dog as well but if we take the plunge, it won't be until next summer (provided the military doesn't decide it's time for us to move again > :-\ :'() Undecided on the gender but it will be a lab, no question.

Good luck with your addition!

Bev.