labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultFrom another forum: dog show people

Laura

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: From another forum: dog show people

Well as a NBSer I found that piece hilarious! Did it give you a chuckle, too?

Seamus and Flynn

Well FINALLY, an explanation of all those "show people" I can understand!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Scout and friends Guest

Laura,

Thanks from this NOH.

Although - it's a Pontiac, not a Toyota. And I had my 2 kids there (but one brought her boyfriend, so I guess that makes 3), and I've only ever been 2.5 hours early. But that's because I got lost and had to stop at Tim Horton's to use the bathroom - because I was so nervous!

Too funny. I think Scout and I stick out just a bit, but we embrace our dorkiness! ;D

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

;D ;D ;D

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

HAHAHA!! I especially love the description of junior handlers:

The JHs' expression and demeanor is unique in the world of dogs: In the standing line-up, they stare intently down at their stacked dogs with a slight frown that says, "I'm very constipated, and so is my dog." This effect is only interrupted by piercing glances up at the judge, at which point the expression changes instantaneously to a disconcerting and maniacal sort of rictus, which says, "All better!"

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

HA! HAHAHAHA! Ohhh, scary. Right on the money:

OBEDIENCE EXHIBITORS: OEs are quite distinctive in appearance from conformation handlers. Priding themselves on the fact that their dogs 'have brains, not just looks', the exhibitors dress for workmanlike practicality. Jeans or chinos with cotton shirts are popular on both the males and females of the species, with tough but comfortable shoes. The fancier plumage of the conformation ring is almost never seen. Oddly, OEs are not found in the area of the obedience rings before they are to be judged. Since they are not allowed to practice with their dogs on the show grounds, you will find most of them far from the rings, pacing seriously about like wind-up toys, dogs at heel. OEs have a peculiar, Groucho Marx-like carriage, reminiscent of someone who badly needs a back brace or is already in one. They execute turns with military precision, and they always come to a halt with their feet exactly together. Then they lean over stiffly and praise their dog in a mechanical manner. If the dog misbehaves, the OE may erupt in a sudden display of noise and violence, but then immediately returns to that grim pacing. It's frightening. The more advanced OEs carry small baskets or pouches with them, full of dumbbells and gloves called 'articles'. These are only handled with tongs and are guarded jealously lest anyone touch them. For all that, OEs as a group generally have affable temperament so long as one approaches them after they have shown their dog. (Not right afterwards -- give them 15 minutes or so to get their blood pressure under control). They are known for their physical stamina (all that heeling), adaptability (practicing and showing in all kinds of weather, on all kinds of terrain), helpfulness (suggesting training solutions for your dog, which they’ve never worked with), mental stability (surviving every sort of embarrassment from their own dog in the ring), and big hearts (those with small hearts don't survive their first 5-minute out-of-sight down stay). The only exception to this affability is the exhibitor competing for an OTCh. OTCh.-level competitors, like African Cape Buffalo, are dangerously unpredictable and should be left strictly alone.
    Do you think I could put a link to this in our dog club newsletter?

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

I don't see why not Connie.

This is the one that had me rolling. About the Novice Owner Handlers
    NOHs, on the other hand, are easily picked out. They arrive at the show three hours before they are due to go in, with their St. Bernard stuffed into the back of the family Toyota. To ringside they bring the dog, its crate, its bowl, a water jug, a bag of dog food, a large blanket, three chairs, a Coleman cooler, four kids (two fully ambulatory, one in a stroller and one an infant), the spouse, and a portable TV. They always have their armband on three breeds before > theirs is to be judged, and they always buy a catalog (which is how they meet EOHs).
    I'm one of those who are always saying, "Can I see your catalog?" LOL Or I find someone I know in another breed and rip out their Lab pages. HA!

Laura

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

I'm one of those who are always saying, "Can I see your catalog?" LOL Or I find someone I know in another breed and rip out their Lab pages. HA!
    Now why did I think that would be the case? HAH back on ya!

Seamus and Flynn

Boy Nance, for someone who has never met me you know me pretty well. LOL. Not sure that's a good thing.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast