Chipmunks Threatened with Extinction.

Thread: Chipmunks Threatened with Extinction.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultChipmunks Threatened with Extinction.

We have lived in our house for almost 30 years. For the last 20, a family of chipmunks have lived under a concrete slap in front of the door. I assuming several generations. Our previous dogs never bothered with them, or were too dumb to notice.

Yesterday afternoon HK found them. There were three in the front yard. One ran up a rain leader that lays angled off the downspout. The racket that HK made trying to get to it. Then she spots the second one up a tree, and the third making a beeline for home under the stoop. I guess HK discovered the home and has been impossible to get into the house since then.

When I took her out this morning (she would normally run to her favorite pee spot), she runs for the stoop and starts clawing at the ground where she started her hole to get at them yesterday. It was near impossible t get her away from it and off to do here business. As soon as she had completed her obligatory assignment, zinnnng, she is back at the stoop digging.

Of course this means I have dirty paws to clean at 5:30 in the morning before she can go back in the house.

Sooooo! How do I get rid of the chipmunks, because I don't think getting HK to leave them alone is a high potential task.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Chipmunks Threatened with Extinction.

LIve traps work pretty well. They have chipmunk sized ones. I bait them with peanuts.

Hoss has a thing for the Thirteen-lined ground squirrels in my front pasture. He stands there with his nose stuck down the whole, hoping one will make a mistake and try to jump into his mouth!

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Bad news: HK will be obsessed with chipmonks forever. My girls go nuts over chipmonks, probably because they know they are slow enough to catch. My chipmonks get under the air conditioner and the dogs dig at it and go nuts whenever the chipmonks are there. They also got a few out of drain pipes too. I have used Have a Heart traps to catch them, but whenever one is caught, the girls always seem to get to the trap before me and then the fun starts. Judy grabs the trap by the handle and prances around the yard with the chipmonk-containing trap. From there, it's a bad scene.
    The best thing to do is throw mothballs under the stoop to keep them away.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

Judy grabs the trap by the handle and prances around the yard with the chipmonk-containing trap.
    This cracked me up. "Lookit me, I got a treat in a cage!"

I hope you can lose the chipmunks with traps as others suggested.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

Try moth balls in the holes, watch her for a bit but that should discourge her also and the chipmunks will find a better place to live.