dog poop disposal?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: dog poop disposal?

Defaultdog poop disposal?

This is a gross question to ask, but I am really curious what other dog owners do...

Here is my routine: I scoop and clean once a week, usually on Saturdays. My lab Spot is 10 months old and likes to poop all over my half-acre backyard. I would go out there with a scooper on a Saturday morning, scoop up every bit of poop I could find, dump it in a large sturdy trash bag (you would be surprised to find out how much poop they produce in a week, eww!), seal the bag, then throw the bag in trash cans. Trash is collected on Wednesdays on my street (I really pity my trash collector).

I've always wondered if there is a correct or better way of 'poop disposal'. What do you do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: dog poop disposal?

I used to do something similar with Bess with a fenced-in yard.

But, with Puff, we have a method I've grown to much prefer.

Puff poops at particular times of the day and I pick it up as soon as she does.

Early each morning, we drive 4 minutes/2 miles to the nature preserve where we begin our 45-60 minute walk.

Within 2 minutes, Puff usually poops and I pick it up in a Glad thin film sandwich bag and deposit it in one of the nearby trash containers.

At 2 PM, Puff begins licking me and we go out. A couple times, I "bowl" a softball on the sidewalk out front for her to chase and then she shows interest in finding her spot. I keep careful eye on her anal sphincter and when I see it beginning to enlarge, I say "Puff, Potty!" and usually she does. Bag it, pick it up, deposit it in my trash.

Similarly at 10 PM but without the bowling softball. I carry a flourescent lantern to find the poop.

I much prefer picking it up immediately after the deed to hunting it down later.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

So far I've been doing my best to get Toshi to potty in the same area everytime, but that doesn't always work. {a less traveled area of the backyard, other than that I just try to remember where and avoid them best I can}

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Same method as you. Scoop once or twice a week, bag and then double bag, toss in garbage can.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

Dani is offline Senior Member

scoop daily (I have 2 and sometimes 4 dogs--friend's dogs come over to play)...I have a 20 gallon garbage can in the back yard...so when I am out playing with the dogs...I clean up...on Mondays, the bag goes out with the trash.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JeffersonsMom
    Same method as you. Scoop once or twice a week, bag and then double bag, toss in garbage can.
    Me too. I have a 10 gallon garbage pail by the shed with a trash bag in it. I usually empty it once a week or every two weeks atleast.

You all will love this story. I came home from work one trash day that I had put out the poop bag and our trash can still had the lid on it by the street. It also had a large paper "Notice" on it. It read "VIOLATION: Your trash contains one or more of the following prohibited items". Below this there was a list of things with check boxes next to them. They checked off "Human Waste". :-X I guess the smell was too much for the collectors. When I called to inquire about this notice I was told that they do not except any biological waste including dog poop. I asked what I was supposed to do with it and they had no answer. They actually suggested bagging it again and putting other items on top of the bag in the can, lol. Now I triple bag and occasional add some Febreeze to the can when I put it at the street. ;D

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I pick up everyday, not sure how this is going to work once DST goes away and the snow flies. I have one of those flip lid trash cans outside with a plastic bag liner. Out it goes on trash day.

Regarding the trash guys not picking up the poop! What the crap is that all about? Have they forgotten that their job is to haul trash? No biological waste? I guess that rotten tomato in the frig can go into the trash either.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

I bury it. I have an area that is pretty bare in the back corner and I figured why not. When my pups were younger they would dig little holes here and there. I'd put their poop in the hole and cover it up. They would never dig in that spot again.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Tucker goes in one spot in the yard. I pick it up daily.

PhoebeJeebies is offline Senior Member

Phoebe doesn't poop in the yard - she's a poop spot snob. She'll only poop while going for a walk or while she's out off leash playing. So I just pick it up wherever we are and find a public trash can to throw it in.
    Becca & Phoebe

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast