I am going to be gone for 3 weeks, should I board both dogs, or only one?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am going to be gone for 3 weeks, should I board both dogs, or only one?

Merlot_1 Guest

DefaultI am going to be gone for 3 weeks, should I board both dogs, or only one?

I booked a cruise two years ago for our upcoming 40th wedding anniversary, before I had ANY dogs. I got Merlot for Christmas, 2005, and Zoey a year latter. My daughter and her family moved in our house a couple weeks ago. She has a toddler, a 7 year old, a white German Shepard, a cat, and a husband who just got a job being on the road a lot. Anyway, she said Zoey could stay while we were gone, but NO way could she watch Merlot. He is very high Maintanence. Has to be walked by 6:00 A.m. for a minimum of two hours and has to play fetch for half an hour in the afternoon. If I don't do this, he destroys the house out of boredom. He has SO much energy, never naps and only sleeps 6 hours a night. Zoey sleeps ALL the time, and so does Jack, her shepard. Now, my question. If I only board Merlot, will he think he did something wrong, or that I love Zoey more? I don't know how dogs think or reason, but I don't want to hurt his feelings. Also, it is 13 dollars a day per dog. It would cost me $250.00 more to board both. I have been saving for this cruise for three years and don't really have 250 extra, but will board BOTH if you think Merlot's feelings will be hurt and cause some problems when he comes home after being in jail for three weeks....and sees the other dogs got to stay in the house ??? : :-X

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I am going to be gone for 3 weeks, should I board both dogs, or only one?

Probably not much help, but if my daughter is living in my house, she gets to take care of my dogs!! Sorry i knew that wouldn't be much help! I just left Sammi at a good friends house who owns and operates her own kennel. Sammi was just their for two nights and she didn't do well at all, she even got to stay in my friends house. Would of been better just leaving her at home and having someone come in to walk and feed her! So yes I am a little sensitive- Sammi will only be house sat again- can not even think of putting her somewhere with out her family- but that is just me, maybe your pups do better! Hope it all works out for you! Most importantly Happy 40th Anniversary!!

DefaultRe: I am going to be gone for 3 weeks, should I board both dogs, or only one?

Cinder loves where she stays for her "Doggie Spa". That's where I tell her she's going. When we make the last turn she gets sooo excited and starts dancing around. I felt really guilty the first time I had to board her, but not anymore. She has a fun time. If you think they will be okay being separated I would save the $250. for the trip and only board Merlot.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

On my last trip..1 dog went to his "Aunt's" house, 1 dog went to the breeders house where the breeder's mom was staying with the dogs as the breeder and I were going to a show and 1 went with me. Everyone did fine where they were and everyone did fine when I brought them home..no jealousy, no hurt feelings..dogs live mainly in the moment.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

If they are used to being together, I would board them together. It will be less stressful for them.

Just wanted to add that $13 a day is a pretty good deal...around here anyway, I think it's about $30 a day. Good luck with whatever you choose!

I would see if you could find a place that has both doggie daycare and boarding. That way Merlot would get to play all day and not be stuck in a crate/dog run alone. Cinnamon loves staying at her doggie daycare.

If you have a good kennel, I wouldn't worry about seperating Merlot. He's a young lab and will probably LOVE IT!!! In my experience, Maralan barely even remembers me and SU when we come to pick him up .

Merlot_1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MarlansMum
    If you have a good kennel, I wouldn't worry about seperating Merlot. He's a young lab and will probably LOVE IT!!! In my experience, Maralan barely even remembers me and SU when we come to pick him up .
    I have never used this kennel yet, but I hear it is very nice. I drove out to it and checked it out. It is on a farm and they have large kennels and dog runs. The best part is they let the dogs out twice a day for a half hour each time in the fenced in pasture, which has lots of trees and meadows I am also worried about Zoey. I even had a dream she wouldn't eat anything and spent all day searching the house and backyard for her Merlot :'( She has never been seperated from him...or us, for that matter ???

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

Have you looked into a sitter at all? I know there are several people in my area that do dog sitting and will come to the house several times a day to walk and exercise them. If he is well behaved when he gets his exercise, perhaps your daughter would be okay with him staying at the house if someone was coming to take care of him everyday. This would keep their routines intact too. Just an idea.

Happy Anniversary by the way and congratulations on 40 years!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast