Do your dogs give mixed signals!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do your dogs give mixed signals!

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultDo your dogs give mixed signals!

When folks walk along are fenced line with their pups in tow, Sammi loves to run along barking her "mean" labbie bark, sometimes her hair is raised, but her tail is always going a million miles an hour and if her rear-end was wagging any faster it would fall off! She seriously doesnt have an aggresive bone in her body. I have never seen her growl or bear her teeth, she is gentle with kids, adults and every pup she has ever met, heck she even loves cats! She will also do this at our front window times but this is easily and quickly corrected. Just wanted to add that she is never outside unless we are home and its only so she can play. On nice days I just keep the back door open so she can come and go! Is this behavior common or is she just "weird" Sammi being the protector of the house!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Do your dogs give mixed signals!

Yes, Puff is similar.

For her first 3-4 years of life, she'd bark at the neighbors on either side whenever they drove in teir driveways and got out of their cars -- or came out of their homes to get in their cars. She'd run over towards them, barking, tail wagging, and try to leap up and lick a face.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Di

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    Yes, Puff is similar.

For her first 3-4 years of life, she'd bark at the neighbors on either side whenever they drove in teir driveways and got out of their cars -- or came out of their homes to get in their cars. She'd run over towards them, barking, tail wagging, and try to leap up and lick a face.
    So they can grow out of this? Did you do correction even outside, whenever possible?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I think it's pretty typical. Mine sound and look like they would rip you from limb to limb, but if you actually went in the yard or house with them, they would maul you with their kisses and hugs

But I DO like that they look mean and bark loudly. I live out in the country and I count on them for the first line of protection.

Di

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    I think it's pretty typical. Mine sound and look like they would rip you from limb to limb, but if you actually went in the yard or house with them, they would maul you with their kisses and hugs

But I DO like that they look mean and bark loudly. I live out in the country and I count on them for the first line of protection.
    know what you mean, if folks would just stop and say hi to her she would stop the barking instantly- actually thought of putting a sign on the fence that says something like , "please say hi to the damn dog, I'm getting tired of her barking" "just be careful she may lick you to death"!!!

Rascal will bark and wag her tail and every person we meet the UPS man think it very funny.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

If Tal cannot see who is outside, or if he sees someone at the door he will bark but doesn't show teeth or growl. If we're outside and he sees someone he wants to meet walking on the sidewalk, he'll just run up to them. He's getting much better about not jumping on folks, still work to do, but like others he'll just lick you to death. I had one person ask me if he was mean and I just said only if you consider being licked to death with sloppy kisses mean

Di

Quote Originally Posted by myfavoritedog
    If Tal cannot see who is outside, or if he sees someone at the door he will bark but doesn't show teeth or growl. If we're outside and he sees someone he wants to meet walking on the sidewalk, he'll just run up to them. He's getting much better about not jumping on folks, still work to do, but like others he'll just lick you to death. I had one person ask me if he was mean and I just said only if you consider being licked to death with sloppy kisses mean
    Yep that is Sammi the drive by licker!!

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

[quote=dipete ]
    Quote Originally Posted by raian
    "please say hi to the damn dog, I'm getting tired of her barking" "just be careful she may lick you to death"!!!
    This cracked me up! I saw a sign on a fence once that said "Never mind the dog, beware of owner!"

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

dipete asked
    So they can grow out of this? Did you do correction even outside, whenever possible?
    I don't know if it was "growing out of", or my saying "NO! NO!" whenever she barked, or my handing people we met on the trail and she barked at some kibble to give her, or a combination of all three.

I suspect the interaction -- when all three consistently point in the same direction it probably helps more than a single lane approach.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast