First visit to a dog park...

Thread: First visit to a dog park...

allprolab is offline Senior Member

DefaultFirst visit to a dog park...

I was pretty excited and so was Pete when he saw all the dogs. I was fairly certain Pete wasn't going to full on play with other dogs. And I was right. There was a german sheppard that came up to him right away and was trying to get Pete to play. He barely gave the dog the time of day. Pete isn't an aggressive dog at all, but he actually told this dog off. I was shocked. I figured he just needed to get use to everything and we walked around. Several dogs came to see him, but for the most part he didn't want much to do with any of them. We went off to a corner and played a little frisbee. I didn't want to play too much cause I didn't want any dogs to get aggressive over a toy. One time I threw it and this black lab I hadn't even seen yet took off after it. I got a chuckle out of that. But once Pete saw another dog interested in his frisbee he didn't want to play anymore. He spent most of his time just sniffing around. It was a bit of a bummer.

I guess he has the "only child" syndrome worse then I thought.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: First visit to a dog park...

Sounds like a pretty good first visit. Maybe after a couple more, Pete will be more inclined to play with others. Perhaps he is just shy. ;D

I have never been to a dog park, so neither has Kody. But there is supposedly a nice one not far from us and I think we will be visiting it soon to check out the scene. I will be very happy if our first visit is as uneventful as yours.

No doubt it could have been a bad visit. I just wish Pete would play with dogs the way he use to play with his best friend back where we're from. It's sad.

He won't play with my girlfrends dogs either. They try, but he won't play.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

That is sad. I was not aware of Pete's history. Was he especially close to his friend? Did he play with other dogs at your old home, or only his friend? Perhaps he misses his friend and is afraid to make new ones for fear of losing them too. Sounds crazy, but I am always amazed at how complex dogs really are, Labs in particular.

He never played with a dog like the way he did with Buddy. They went at it like you would expect a couple of fun dogs to. He was very fond of his friend. To this day when we go back home and drive by were Buddy lived he gets super excited. Perhaps he is sad that he hasn't seen him in so long. Pete is a very emotional dog in other ways, so it wouldn't suprise me.

Dang, now I'm all sad for him.

Geez, I just said "Buddy" outloud and he's looking for him. Bad move.

Wow, I feel really bad for Pete too. I know Kody is an emotional dog as well. They certainly don't forget much either. Are you going to take him to the dog park again in the future? It sounds like he would be just as happy at a regular park with you doesn't it? Although he may find a new Buddy at the dog park some day.

I'll take him again, no doubt. I will be suprised if he plays good with any of the dogs, but he does like to see dogs. He whines whenever he sees one, but if he meets them it's no big deal.

He also was foaming at the mouth when several dogs were checking him out. Too many new dogs is stressful. I can understand.

Fletchs Pop is offline Senior Member

Fletch goes to the dog park on days that I can't get him to the lake.

I wouldn't worry about his first visit. He'll warm up to other dogs. Most dogs that come in the first day are very tense and just walk around. Soon enough he'll be playing with the other dogs.

One thing I would warn against is throwing the ball, frisbee whatever. I don't throw the ball to my dog for the first 30 minutes we are at the park. He would be happy ignoring the other dogs and playing ball the whole time. I don't think that's good for him socially nor does he get any mental stimulation from it.
    I work on the theory that if you can train a killer whale to launch itself out of a swimming pool, roll on its side and urinate into a small plastic cup, given only a whistle and a bucket of fish, without a choke chain, then you don’t need those confrontational techniques with dogs. -Dr. Dodman

That makes sense. I didn't throw the bee from him till I knew he wasn't going to play with anyone. And I only threw it a handful of times. I main brought it cause I knew I could use it to control him. He's likes his bee.

k8show is offline Senior Member

Oh, I'm tearing up at Pete's loss. :'( I hope he finds a new best Buddy soon!
    Boo acts the exact same way at the dog park. We've visited half a dozen times and he greets owners, but isn't really interested in the dogs. He has met many other dogs other places and feels more comfortable playing in a more neutral territory. I think some dogs just get overwhelmed with all those smells!
    Katie and Boo