Dear Maddie, the time is drawing near
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear Maddie, the time is drawing near

Joe Maringo is offline Senior Member

DefaultDear Maddie, the time is drawing near

This is the update I have been dreading. Maddie is progressing through the autumn of her life quite quickly now. She is so smart, and still has so much love, but her poor old body is just giving out. She has had a tumor growing on her front leg for about a year now. The vet said there was nothing that they could do that would be safe at her age, and we should just enjoy the time we had with her. It does not cause her any pain, and until the last week or so she really did not even notice it. She could still walk, run, play and be totally happy. This is a picture of her at the Canine Carnival two weeks ago.

The ever presant smile is there and the sparkle in her eyes. She had a great time and it was outside on the grass so she was comfortable. She has always loved people and attention so she was in her glory. But you can see the tumor on her front leg.

There is nothing we can do to stop the progress of this horrible thing. I lay on the floor with her in the evenings and rub her leg, it seems to make her feel better. But as I knew would happen, she has started to get pressure sores from it being so large.

Even at 17 years, 7 months and 23 days she is still one spunky old gal. Every morning she takes her walk around the yard. She never misses a chance to knock Sirius over and let him know he is not the hot shot he thinks he is. She greets me with her toy or a bone and bows to play, and I find tears welling up in my eyes every time I look into hers. She has the kind of eyes that show you her soul and that tell you every time that there is no other person on earth that she loves as much.

She has been my rock and my salvation since loosing Maggy 3 and a half years ago. Maggy was my first and my souldog, but Maddie came to me at age 14 just days after loosing Maggy and she helped me through the pain. She is also the dog that showed me an old dog still has a purpose. I brought her home to save her, and she ended up saving me at the same time. When I brought her home she was in bad shape, and I figured she would have a few good weeks or months before she passed, but she rallied and came back strong much to both of our joy.

For today, we are fine. One day at a time. She has not told me it is time so we are enjoying ever day. I know in the back of my mind though that it is just a matter of weeks, or even day though. It has been so lonely without Max, Hank, Bailey and Murph this summer, but I can't even fathom the house without my Maddie.
    Southwest Pennsylvania Retriever Rescue Organization or S.P.A.R.R.O. and Shades Of Grey Senior Sanctuary
    A 501c3 Non Profit Organization.
    Plum, Pa.
    412-795-0163
    website www.sparro.org/

Saving one dog will not change the world But, surely, for that one dog the world will change forever!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Dear Maddie, the time is drawing near

What a beautiful girl.

I'm sorry that your time together is getting shorter. Make the most of her and let her know each day just how much you love her. I'm sure you do anyway.

Kisses to Maddie :-*

Joe,

She ia definitely La Grsnde Dame! What a sweety.

Reading your post choked me up pretty good. I'd say that both of you are lucky to have each other. The two of you ar definitely an inspiration to the rest of us. Please give Maddie an ear rub for me.

Terry

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

Joe, I'm so sorry. I'm glad that I was able to meet Maddie at Lab Fest earlier this year.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

A moment, please, to swallow the lump in my throat.

So sad. What a girl! I'm glad, though of this: Maddie's sunset years couldn't have been spent in better hands.

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Joe, you know I love her so much ............ she can really put those whippersnappers in their place (ie Kona). (((((hugs))))) to both of you!!
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Oh Joe. :'(

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

:-[ :-[ :-[

Just think of the joy the two of you have had for the past 3 plus years. :-*

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

What a wonderful girl, and what a wonderful caretaker. I only hope that Hershey Kisses can go as long and we can provide her that same loving care as you have provided Maddie.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

lablimo is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry. What a regal gal she is.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast