Luvmydog2much/gentle leader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luvmydog2much/gentle leader

DefaultLuvmydog2much/gentle leader

In another post you said you had some "issues" with the gentle leader..could you tell us what happened. I for one use that with Dakota! Thank you!
    Jackie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

pbc
    pbc is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Luvmydog2much/gentle leader

Jackie I am not her but I think GL's are great and know many people who have excellent luck with them. If it works for you don't worry about it. You know it is like dog food - one brand works for some and another for others. Pat
    Guest poster - original forum July 2001. Member 2002. nbsc

If it works for you, then yes use it.

There was a very high strung golden puppy, 5.5 months that joined our senior puppy kindergarden class when Rhys was about 7 months old. Our trainer lets us use whatever collar harness etc that works for us, as long as we are using it properly.

This golden came in with the head halter on, got real excited and jumped up, got the lead around the head and fell down in a thump, snapped her neck. They brought her to the vet and had her PTS.

Those things aren't allowed at our training center anymore. And I will never get the picture of that little girl out of my head, just laying there limp.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

OMG!!! Dakota has done that thing where he takes off..and wham..he gets spun around a bit when he wears it.. when we see where he's going with it..we try to slack off..lean in so he doesn't get hurt. That must have been an awful sight..geeze. Thanks for the heads up though. I will be very careful with it..I also have the prong collar but they're such a stinker to get on and off..we use the GL more often.
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogz2much
    If it works for you, then yes use it.

There was a very high strung golden puppy, 5.5 months that joined our senior puppy kindergarden class when Rhys was about 7 months old. Our trainer lets us use whatever collar harness etc that works for us, as long as we are using it properly.

This golden came in with the head halter on, got real excited and jumped up, got the lead around the head and fell down in a thump, snapped her neck. They brought her to the vet and had her PTS.

Those things aren't allowed at our training center anymore. And I will never get the picture of that little girl out of my head, just laying there limp.

I've also seen dogs who repeatedly hit the end of their leash while wearing the GL... just think of what that could do, over time, to their neck?

In our case, Henry would just shut down... his entire body language would change... head would droop, tail would droop. That's when I decided that it wasn't for us.

Here's an article of interest:
    http://www.flyingdogpress.com/headhalters.html

If it works well for you, you should use it... it just didn't for us.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I've just started with the GL for Baloo, but he's on a 6 ft leash (the way I hold it, more like 4 ft.)

Once he's "climatized" to it, I'm going to alternate between nose strap off (when he's good... ) and nose strap on (when there's a situation where I need more control..... reminds me I need to post in training...)

I didn't want to, but the harness just wasn't cutting it anymore. :-\ And had given him some armpit chaffing at times.

And I can't use the prong, for reasons I have posted about before.

So GL it is. Hopefully I only have to use it for a little while. I'm going to be uber careful and vigilant, especially after hearing about that golden!! :'(
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Felicia..thank you for this article..it gave me pause. I guess I'm going back to the prong collar. If we walk him on his regular collar he still pulls a bit..and has slipped out of it quite a few times. I appreciate you sending this along. Thanks very much!
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    I've also seen dogs who repeatedly hit the end of their leash while wearing the GL... just think of what that could do, over time, to their neck?

In our case, Henry would just shut down... his entire body language would change... head would droop, tail would droop. That's when I decided that it wasn't for us.

Here's an article of interest:
    http://www.flyingdogpress.com/headhalters.html

If it works well for you, you should use it... it just didn't for us.

Felix Guest

If you dont use a Gentle Leader in the proper way, you can do real damage you're dogs neck, and in the best part for him or her, she only gets a whiplash :-X

Can I also offer, just this...

We go on two types of walkies. One, the walkies for the dogs, and they are allowed to sniff, pull pee on and mull about wherever or whatever they want. They wear their flexis and buckle collars for that.

Then there is the momma needs to have a nice relaxing walk walkies where they wear their chain slip collars (sometimes prongs, depending how full of themselves they are) and they distinctly know that momma is NOT FOOLING AROUND. its walk nice, or you stay home. We have miles and miles of riverside trails here, so when we want to walk, we walk.

If the walk is for them, PULL AWAY! Have a great time, if it is for me, they know.

There is no way on earth I could expect them to NEVER pull, at times it is appropriate (on the way down to Auntie Lou's pond , or tracking with Ruby) and at times I can't tolerate it for their own good (Humane society pet expo yesterday) and then in the obedience ring. I have three commands...Lets go, heel or by me. They know what each of those mean, and I generally have no problems with them pulling when they shouldn't. They aren't robots, they are still very much dogs, and I let them be dogs most of the time.

Felix Guest

A "flexi line" is a good way on how you can teach you're dog pulling on the line when he or she is walking :

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast