Golden/Aussie Shepherd Mix (?)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golden/Aussie Shepherd Mix (?)

Dawn is offline Senior Member

DefaultGolden/Aussie Shepherd Mix (?)

Any ideas what you think a mix of a golden retriever and Australian Shepherd might turn out like - temperament/behavior-wise? (I already know what the pups look like: blue-eyed, fuzzy and scrumptious!)

Since Mocha died, we've been thinking of getting a second dog, but hate to upset the beautiful dynamic we have now with Bodie (who's 5, full of energy and pretty beautifully behaved). I tend to think the mix might be nice - would love to know your opinions .....
    Dawn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Golden/Aussie Shepherd Mix (?)

Ooo, I think that would be a stellar mix! Aussies are very driven and love to work. Goldens are the consummate people-pleasers. That would be one hell of an obedience dog!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Are these pups from a shelter?

Aussies are VERY high energy. Both are people dogs though.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deezeldog Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317

Aussies vary a lot by individual and are nowhere near the energy level of a BC. I don't think you can assume that the pups from this mix will be high or low energy. See what they are like when they are a little bit older.

My first dog was a Golden... sweetest, though not the smartest dog in the world. Deacon my deaf blind Aussie is also a sweetheart but was quite a handful until he understood the rules. I know herding dogs are very high drive and love to have a job, depending on how the genes fall the pup could slant towrds the Aussie or Golden. Base on the description they sound more Aussie. I think it would be a fine dog. I do understand the concern with Bodie and the balance of things, but you are still used to a two dog house and so is he, I guess it boils down to if you want more one on one time with the Bodie. It's very easy to say from the outside but I often wonder if one has any doubts.. then maybe its not the right decision.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by deezeldog
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317

Aussies vary a lot by individual and are nowhere near the energy level of a BC. I don't think you can assume that the pups from this mix will be high or low energy. See what they are like when they are a little bit older.
    : There is a large variance of temperment, personality, energy level, etc within every single breed.

From what I've seen/heard from breed enthusiasts, Aussie's are *for the most part* just as energetic (in some cases, more so than) BCs.

With an aussie/golden mix, I think it's fair to assume that a lot of exercise will be needed.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

amazongold is offline Senior Member

All I can think of is the hair - LOTS AND LOTS OF HAIR! :-\
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Aussies (One of my favourite breeds! Hope to have one someday...) have some quirks you need to be aware of and work on.. they are devoted to their families, but can be shy/unsocial to varying degrees with strangers/guests in the house. Socialize the puppy from day 1, getting them to meet all kinds/races/ages/sizes/etc of people, in and out of the house. They can be protective of their territory as well - in addition to herding, they were often used as farm guardians. Again, extensive socializing and obedience training will mitigate these tendencies.

It's impossible to say if the puppies will be more golden or aussie, but regardless, will likely be a beautiful, smart and loving dog. Is there any chance to meet the mother or the father?

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

Dawn, my mom's dog Blue who passed away last year at the approximate age of 13-14 was a golden retriever/ aussie mix. That wasn't a guess. Even though my mom got him from the shelter, they knew where he came from.
    Wonderful dog...but not like a Lab or Golden I ever met. Extremely stubborn and strong until he settled down late in life. Didn't like to swim..got along great with cats and other dogs.
    He was a great companion dog and I took care of him for a couple of months while my mom recuperated from knee surgery last summer.
    He could outrun Lucy...Lucy loved him and still looks for him when we go to my mom's...
    pics from last summer

the amount of HAIR!!!!! Oh my goodness...

good luck with your decision..whatever it is, it will be the right one.

Dawn is offline Senior Member

Thanks everybody for the input. Need to have a serious heart-to-heart with SU and come to a decision whether or not we're ready for the challenge of a pup right now, especially if there's a chance that the particular pup I have in mind will probably be smarter than both of us put together! I am wavering from one minute to the next between excitement and terror at the idea. Well, we'll see. ..... ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast